Hybrid

Golfnut1957

Visit site
To answer your question as best I can Srixon Z H85. I've owned a multitude of different makes and models and while i don't have one in the bag at this moment the Srixon would be my recommendation, long enough and no draw bias.

Jason.H

Visit site
I have two TaylorMade Sim 2 Max hybrids. I find them very versatile and forgiving. I use them off the tee, fairway, rough ect. They give me confidence on long par 3,s vs long irons.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry, but I agree with bobmac. A change of hybrid might lead to a slight improvement … perhaps a shot or two a round, but any significant improvement will need the driver or, at best, a 3W to be working on longer holes. Added to which, Benross make good clubs for mid/high handicappers and new players, so the scope for “hybrid only” improvement would seem to be minimal. Just my three ha’pence worth. Sorry if that is not what the OP wants to hear.

Long term it obviously makes sense to master a driver, but short term, hitting a hybrid and keeping in play to take the pressure off irons, get into a rhythm and learn short game seems a pretty sensible move for a beginner. I know a fair few who learning keep getting in trouble off the tee so never really focus on the rest as they are out of the hole or hacking; not always the most fun.

To OP, have you tried golf bidder to try a second hand and return. Pings last few collections seem to get good reviews, but I really think it's trial an error.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Long term it obviously makes sense to master a driver, but short term, hitting a hybrid and keeping in play to take the pressure off irons, get into a rhythm and learn short game seems a pretty sensible move for a beginner. I know a fair few who learning keep getting in trouble off the tee so never really focus on the rest as they are out of the hole or hacking; not always the most fun.

To OP, have you tried golf bidder to try a second hand and return. Pings last few collections seem to get good reviews, but I really think it's trial an error.

Possibly, but he already has a hybrid made by a reasonable manufacturer. My point was that, if he is expecting a change of hybrid to produce radically different results, he may be disappointed … hence me saying “scope for “hybrid only” improvement would seem to be minimal”. However, I wish him well and hope that whatever he tries works.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Possibly, but he already has a hybrid made by a reasonable manufacturer. My point was that, if he is expecting a change of hybrid to produce radically different results, he may be disappointed … hence me saying “scope for “hybrid only” improvement would seem to be minimal”. However, I wish him well and hope that whatever he tries works.
Truth in what you're saying of course, but I remember when I first tried hybrids, the first two or three I couldn't hit and I wondered what the fuss was about, but then I picked up a Ping G25 and it was different - found it much easier to hit than the others (which included Adams and Benross). I could probably hit the Benross now but back then I found Ping had the most forgiveness and easiest launch.

GooseDosser

Visit site
To answer your question as best I can Srixon Z H85. I've owned a multitude of different makes and models and while i don't have one in the bag at this moment the Srixon would be my recommendation, long enough and no draw bias.
Thank you m8?
Truth in what you're saying of course, but I remember when I first tried hybrids, the first two or three I couldn't hit and I wondered what the fuss was about, but then I picked up a Ping G25 and it was different - found it much easier to hit than the others (which included Adams and Benross). I could probably hit the Benross now but back then I found Ping had the most forgiveness and easiest launch.

Tar m8 I've been looking at G425s aswel ?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Another shout for ping g25 as a relatively low cost ‘give it a try’ option, particularly because you’ll get most of your money back if you decide to sell it on. I absolutely love mine. I can hit my irons and fairway wood ok, but whenever I need a bit of help because I’m knackered, the lie isn’t great or I need a nice straight hit off the tee, the g25 comes out.

Springveldt

Visit site
Thanks for advice ive been having Lessons for my Irons, just want a club I can use to get me in play off the tees. I like the looks Of The Callaway Rogue and it seems very forgiving
Maybe look for a Mavrik Max?

I've just bought a couple of Apex 21 hybrids and they are bloody huge compared to my old M1 hybrid. They give a lot of confidence as the face looks massive and they go for miles as well. My first port of call for Callaway gear is their preowned site, even the "average" condition are in great shape.

https://eu.callawaygolfpreowned.com/

Really though, you should be looking into hitting your driver/woods better. Getting off the tee makes the game so much easier. If you are taking lessons then for me you should be concentrating on driver first imho.

Springveldt

Visit site
Who knows? I do know that I am biased as a draw bias hybrid usually means left, left and then a touch more left for me.
Just an educated guess. Nearly everyone I know that starts the game or doesn't play often suffers from a slice. Some suffer all their lives with it.

A society I play in is usually around 16 guys on each outing and about 12 of them are casual golfers. Out of the 12, 11 of them slice/fade the ball and 1 suffers from duck hooks as his miss.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Currently looking for a hybrid for the youth - he had a Ping Moxie - which is a junior club, and he could nail it pretty much every time he used it, but sadly it went to the golf club graveyard in the sky some months back.
I replaced that with a Cobra F9 One length, and while the shaft length is right for him, it feels heavy when he swings it (I'd agree with him as well, even for me it feels a bit weighty)
Has anybody any experience of a specific brand that perhaps feel a little lighter than most - appreciate shaft is going affect that feeling...?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Currently looking for a hybrid for the youth - he had a Ping Moxie - which is a junior club, and he could nail it pretty much every time he used it, but sadly it went to the golf club graveyard in the sky some months back.
I replaced that with a Cobra F9 One length, and while the shaft length is right for him, it feels heavy when he swings it (I'd agree with him as well, even for me it feels a bit weighty)
Has anybody any experience of a specific brand that perhaps feel a little lighter than most - appreciate shaft is going affect that feeling...?
This was the lightest thing I ever swung in my life. I hated it tbh, nearly flew out of my hands. 😂

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Seen as he's young, he's probably got a fast swing speed, so shaft could be pretty important, from my limited knowledge anyway.....
I've got a couple of Titleist ones in the bag and they are good clubs for me.

Fabia999

Visit site
I'm a slow swinger so need as light as possible, I have a TS1 Driver and TSI1 Hybrid and 5 wood. The 1 versions have been designed for slow swing speed therefore has had as much weight taken out as possible. Mine has a 50gram shaft in but I'm sure you get 40gram one. You can pick one up for about £120 on ebay now, which has shocked me. I might have a look at another one now haha

RichA

Visit site
It’s all about the head shape for me, I can’t hit skinny hybrids for some reason yet I can cream my Superfast 2.0 and G400 as the heads look a bit more like a fairway wood.
After much experimentation, Ping G400 is the only hybrid I find reliable.