Hybrid vs Iron with Same Loft

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
After having the length of my 5i cut to make it same size as the 6i I don’t think I’ve hit the 4H that’s next in the bag because I’m now getting far better consistency and distance out of the 5i
Whether it’s just what I needed or all in my head the difference is staggering, the iron is just so much easier to hit where i want it over the Hybrid (which has always been a fav club)

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve got a 4 hybrid and a 5 hybrid which I like but I’ve found that the gap between them and the 6 iron too much so I’ve dropped the 5 hybrid in favour of the 5 iron which gives me more consistent gap.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I’ve got a 4 hybrid and a 5 hybrid which I like but I’ve found that the gap between them and the 6 iron too much so I’ve dropped the 5 hybrid in favour of the 5 iron which gives me more consistent gap.

Its the issue I've got but happy to stick with it and either grip down on a 5H to reduce distance or go hard at the 6 iron (providing the risk should it go wrong - I never usually advocate going flat out on any shot)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have only ever done the comparison one and it was many years ago TM Rescue mid 4 v TM 360 4 both with the identical shaft both the same distance.

The trouble these days is that you are unlikely to be comparing like for like because they will have different shafts.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have only ever done the comparison one and it was many years ago TM Rescue mid 4 v TM 360 4 both with the identical shaft both the same distance.

The trouble these days is that you are unlikely to be comparing like for like because they will have different shafts.

I meant to get on the indoor bay and launch monitor at the local range and do a test with decent balls to prove the difference in distance and dispersion between my 4 and 5 irons and the equivalent hybrids but Covid got in the way. Suffice to say I see the results on the course to the extent I am happy with how the hybrids are working

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I used Ping G clubs from about 4 years ago. The 7 iron is 30 degree and the 6 hybrid is also 30 degrees. The 6H definitely goes at least 10 to 15 yards further than the 7 iron.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
After having the length of my 5i cut to make it same size as the 6i I don’t think I’ve hit the 4H that’s next in the bag because I’m now getting far better consistency and distance out of the 5i
Whether it’s just what I needed or all in my head the difference is staggering, the iron is just so much easier to hit where i want it over the Hybrid (which has always been a fav club)

That’s a really smart idea as long as the gapping still works, I would think the next club should be a 5h if you cut down the 5i like that.

I have one hybrid, I couldn’t hit the thing for years, 3 feet off the ground was good, if it wasn’t it was a wild hook.

I have made some adjustments to my swing recently to compress the ball rather than sweep it like a wood (which doesn’t work for me even for woods). Now it is a legitimate fairway or rough option and starting to impact my round scores positively rather than negatively.

The key was the Chris Ryan videos on hitting long irons better, now I can feel the ball a few grooves higher on good strikes and its wonderful!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
After just being fitted for my new irons, I was looking at the top end of my bag. My 4h (22*) is very close in loft to my 5i (23*) and according to TopTracer at my local range goes the same distance. Is this to be expected? I know they have different flights, but am unsure as to whether I should expect a hybrid to out-distance an iron if the same loft.
If this is normal, what gapping should I have at the top end? My current setup is driver @ 10.5*, 3-wood @ 15* and hybrid @ 19* as well as the above mentioned 22*

In theory you would use a hybrid in order to help with launch. i.e. your swing speed is not high enough to 'launch' a long iron to the optimum height to get the correct distance.

If your clubs are going the same distance it suggests your swing sped is appropriate for a 5 iron OR perhaps your hybrid is a poor fit. Shaft flex can also affect launch with a shaft that was too stiff leading to a low launch.

If you have a stiff flex hybrid, you might find a reg flex would get a bit more out of it.

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
Recently make a couple of changes in my bag due to this issue. Had a Callaway XR Pro 16* hybrid, my 3 iron is 17* which went a similar distance, (and not too short of my 3 wood) at the bottom end of the bag I went from a 42* wedge to a 50* gap. Decided to get rid of the hybrid as I felt more comfortable with the 3 iron, I also adjusted the 3 wood down to 14*, removed the 50 wedge and replaced with a 48 & 52. I feel I have a much better balance at both ends of the bag now.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
That’s a really smart idea as long as the gapping still works, I would think the next club should be a 5h if you cut down the 5i like that.

I have one hybrid, I couldn’t hit the thing for years, 3 feet off the ground was good, if it wasn’t it was a wild hook.

I have made some adjustments to my swing recently to compress the ball rather than sweep it like a wood (which doesn’t work for me even for woods). Now it is a legitimate fairway or rough option and starting to impact my round scores positively rather than negatively.

The key was the Chris Ryan videos on hitting long irons better, now I can feel the ball a few grooves higher on good strikes and its wonderful!

It def works better now. I had no idea but my 5I actually sat slap in-between my pair of hybrids for length with just a single degree of loft less than the 4h
The 0.75" cut moves it into the correct distance spacing (& I feel like I'm swinging the 6i but hitting it further)

loft_length.jpg.png

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'd go with the hybrid every time and add a wedge in its place. I know a category 1 player who has a 6 iron as the longest iron in the bag and then moves to hybrids. That's a good enough pointer for me(y)