Hybrid vs Iron with Same Loft

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
After just being fitted for my new irons, I was looking at the top end of my bag. My 4h (22*) is very close in loft to my 5i (23*) and according to TopTracer at my local range goes the same distance. Is this to be expected? I know they have different flights, but am unsure as to whether I should expect a hybrid to out-distance an iron if the same loft.
If this is normal, what gapping should I have at the top end? My current setup is driver @ 10.5*, 3-wood @ 15* and hybrid @ 19* as well as the above mentioned 22*

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Normally I'd expect a similarly lofted hybrid to outdistance an iron.
But modern distance irons have more "pop" off the face and it wouldn't surprise me to see your hybrid and iron go a similar distance
Would be easy to drop the hybrid and get a wedge in the gap between your 43° wedge and 52 wedge..
I would see which I hit more consistently and keep that one in the bag.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i switched out my 3 (21) iron this year for a 22 deg hybrid, only a deg in it but goes the same distance, much easier to hit though it does go high and straight. Same make a nd shaft as my 18deg, use what works best and is easy to hit

Last edited:

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Does your iron set include the Wedge 1?
Yes. I have no gapping issues at the bottom end. My highest lofted wedge is 56, so was contemplating dropping the hybrid and replacing with a 60*
The long term plan is to replace the current 3-wood and 19* hybrid with ones that have been fitted rather than off-the-shelf

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Normally I'd expect a similarly lofted hybrid to outdistance an iron.
But modern distance irons have more "pop" off the face and it wouldn't surprise me to see your hybrid and iron go a similar distance
Would be easy to drop the hybrid and get a wedge in the gap between your 43° wedge and 52 wedge..
I would see which I hit more consistently and keep that one in the bag.
I have a 48* wedge included in the iron set I’ve just bought

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If you have no gapping issues then you have room for a club that just serves one purpose. That could be a punch out from under trees, a high floater that hits and sits..if there's a hole that needs a specific shot that you have to manufacture with what you have you get the exact club for the job...

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Versatility....theres nothing wrong with having two clubs in the bag that go similar distances....there will always be a time when you need perhaps the higher launch that a hybrid may give you or the ability to slide the hybrid through some lush grass where the 5iron may get tangled.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
My 4h got me 2 decent pars today after I messed up my drives and found myself in dense semi rough with the ball sitting down not much more than 100yds from the tee ?

I nuked my hybrid right up the fairway, far longer than a iron could, and especially an equivalent 4i could have done, and more so never from such a sat down lie.

Left me a short iron to within a few feet and single putted both.

I was sent this Adams hybrid from a forumite some years ago, it’s never left my bag, they’re cheating sticks.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I swapped out my 4 and 5 irons for equivalent hybrids. They had the same lofts but the difference was night and day and I can hit the hybrids easier (especially the 4 hybrid compared to the 4 iron) and get more distance and versatility. I do have an issue (to a degree) that the gap from 5h to 6 iron has increased.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Been singing the praises of 4 and 5 hybrids for years.

Currently only have the 4 in the bag but likely go back to 4 and 5 over the winter.

Just need to match up the distances with my strong loft 6 iron.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Well, both my hybrids and my 3 wood are on the naughty step after this afternoon’s round. The 3-wood redeemed itself somewhat off the tee, but it not either hybrid was any good off the turf. Might be time time replace with Titleist to match the rest of my setup

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Been singing the praises of 4 and 5 hybrids for years.

Currently only have the 4 in the bag but likely go back to 4 and 5 over the winter.

Just need to match up the distances with my strong loft 6 iron.

It was you that finally persuaded me to take the plunge. Thanks for that - great decision and should have done it years ago

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It was you that finally persuaded me to take the plunge. Thanks for that - great decision and should have done it years ago

Glad it's working for you. Wish my mates dad would take the same advice.

That fool has 4 5 and 6 irons in the bag that all go the same distance which isnt very far at all. One day he will take my advice. Lol

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If comparing a hybrid and an iron of exactly the same loft, I would expect the hybrid to be 5 or so yards longer, because it's easier to launch, hotter face, and lighter shaft typically as well.

Like others I have hybrids instead of long irons. Currently using a 27° in place of a 6 iron - my 7 iron is 30°. Before this I even had a 28° hybrid in there for a short time and the gapping was still pretty much fine even with only 2° difference.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Managed to get in with the fitter this morning. Tried 3 & 5 woods, and a 21* hybrid. In the end the best combo was a 16.5* TS3 3 wood and a TS2 7 wood with a 5 wood shaft. Just didn’t get on with the hybrids at all

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...Might be time time replace with Titleist to match the rest of my setup
That's absolutely the wrong reason to change them!
Remember that, under normal conditions, there's a slightly different (flatter) swing required for hybrids & woods (certainly 'off the deck') compared to irons. As Fish posted, I'd certainly use a hybrid in preference to an iron from anything approaching deep rough (except for pure 'recovery').