Hybrid vs Driving Iron

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Most if you regulars know my opinions on hybrids (..... I don't like them much)

Despite my dislike for them, I needed to plug a gap distance wise between my 3 iron and my 4 wood. A 910H at 19 degrees did the job.

Now, most of the OEM's are moving into the driving iron market. Mizuno have been there for a while with the MP Fli-Hi range and more recently the H4. Titleist, Callaway and Ping have all released or are about to release versions of driving irons.

I had an MP Fli-Hi (3 iron) about 2 years ago and loved it. It's one of the few clubs I wish I never sold.

I'll admit to my head being turned by these kind of driving iron as, well, I've never really got on with the look of a hybrid. No doubt the Titleist is easy to hit, and I'll defiantly keep a hold of it.

What I'm considering is getting a driving iron for use in the summer, when the fairways are firm and I can take advantage of maximum run out and using the 910H for the winter or when the course is soft to take advantage of the higher flight to maximise carry.

Does anyone else do this? Carry different clubs at the long end of the bag based on course conditions or time of year?

If so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts :thup:

Any thoughts or opinions appreciated.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
swapped a 19 hybrid out for a 2i in the summer. gone back to the 19 for winter.

I found the 2i much safer on 2nd shots on par 5s. I can get a little wild with woods and hybrids.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm considering a flihi 2 just for experiment purposes

Either that or I have to learn to hit the adams low and punchy ;)

That's the issue I have.

I have a mid/high launch shaft in the 910H so keeping it down can be tricky.

I prefer the look of an iron over the ball to be honest over a hybrid, but that aside the 910 goes well enough.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got a Pro Launch Red SC in Reg fitted with a 910 hybrid adapter Gareth.

That'll keep it down for you.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've got a FliHi 2 iron, stays in the bag all year round. I use it off the tee and the fairway. Got 2 or 3 hybrids in the shed but always preferred long irons.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I struggle with long irons. A hybrid is my weapon of choice and so I've no inclination to try these driving irons. I had a one and two iron back in the day and on a good swinging day they were fine, but be just a fraction off and they were costly. To me my hybrid gives me more room for error and while I have no doubt the degree of forgiveness in these modern driving irons is a million miles away from a butter knife one iron, I just don't fancy it

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally, I don't think you need one, but that's just me, the reason being;

You're probably not going to get a huge amount more out of it distance-wise than a well hit three iron. The three iron would be easier to hit generally off the tee and a hybrid / wood are much easier to hit off the deck (for most people anyways). Those driving irons aren't massively designed to be hit off the deck with a decent amount of carry so it's pretty much just gonna be for off the tee. You may as well hit the 3 iron low off the tee if you want to hit an iron and keep a hybrid (or buy a 5 wood).

You might be 5 yards further back off the tee with the 3 iron but personally don't think that a 1 or 2 iron is the answer. Even the top pro's only really carry one for the open or hard, dry, flat courses.

Get used to the hybrid, get a 5 wood or stick an extra wedge in :)

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would suggest trying one out before buying. I've had a swing with a few. Although they feel nice, they require a good hit to get the ball shuffling with any sort of height. I would say the newer ones are not for Slow SS.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Most if you regulars know my opinions on hybrids (..... I don't like them much)

Any thoughts or opinions appreciated.

I would never consider going back to any kind of long iron. It took me a while to get into hybrids, but I would never be without them now. Considering I play both hard and fast links, when it's dry that is, then parkland when its' soft matters not one jot to me. Hybrids or rescues are, in my opinion, miles better than any driving iron I've tried, and I've tried a few.

I fitted a longer shaft into my 19 degree hybrid and the gapping from my 4 iron to my 3 wood is perfect.

More and more pros are using them and for good reason.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My set make up changes little in practice, but yes it can alter for both course and weather conditions. I think of my set make up of as a squad, that can be rotated.

I usually leave a gap at the longer end to carry 4 wedges (would rarely go with less, have carried more - I have 6 to choose from) and this is where I'd make changes.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is a 7 wood for senior golfer? is there much difference from a 21 fairway to a 21 hybrid??????

Personal preference to be honest, I have tried hybrids and never got on with them and at around £150 the driving irons were a little steep for me so I went for a 7 wood and love it.

They are not for old golfers but do come with free membership to Saga:whistle:

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've rarely got on with hybrids either, but driving irons look a bit severe to me, especially if you don't nail it!

Contradicting the above though, my X Hot has been very good so far. Clean, simple looks, and has excelled from horrible lies, especially when the ball is sat down. Now that is where a driving iron would be no good, hybrids are undoubtedly more versatile.