Hybrid shaft flex

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
Recently sold my hybrid and in the market for a new one and a bit unsure what flex to buy.

The hybrid I sold was a Mizuno MP650 with project x 6.0 shaft. Off the tee and occasionally off the fairway I had some great straight shots but didn't find it very forgiving and found the shaft a bit stiff (read the project x 6.0 plays like an x stiff). Also tended to hit shots off the deck low with a tendency to go right.

I have just borrowed a friends Cobra Biocell with regular flex shaft. The head is more forgiving and find it easier to launch than the mizuno. However sometimes hooked it, one hole I hit OOB twice on the left hand side off the tee due to hooks. My friend is selling as he found it too whippy compared to his other regular flex hybrid. I did also hit some nice shots with it.

Does anyone know if the project x 6.0 plays like a x stiff and that the Cobras shafts are more flexible compared to other brands?

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
PX flex in woods and irons differs and is further complicated by weight differences.

In irons, PX 6.0 is between S and X in Dynamic Gold, but in woods and hybrids it is closer to S. In practical terms, assume that the true flex in woods and hybrids is about 0.5 less. The same is true of PX flighted iron shafts compared to PX.

Depends which PX version you have in the Mizuno. The PX Black is a lowish launch shaft, and the symptoms you describe, low and right, sounds like too stiff a flex for you.

D

Deleted member 18121

I have stiff shafts in my irons, driver and Nike Vapor flex hybrid......I too had the 6.0 Project X shaft in my SLDR hybrid and I couldn't hit it for toffee. It was too stiff IMO. Regular flex hybrids balloon like crazy.....you need to find a stiff shaft in between the two.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The mizuno mp650 has a slightly open face. It is quite easy to leave open and leak it right.

Pretty decent club for those that hook.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I have found all the cobra hybrids that I used to be too soft. They were regulars and seemed to be very soft. I was really having to make very easy swings to keep them straight, leaning on them at all just resulted in big hooks. In comparison, the Ping Regular shaft (TFC129) in my current hybrid is much firmer. You can give these a bit more welly without the same issues.