HS2

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
It was suppose to free up space on the rails for more traffic so more can go by rail again thus freeing up the roads a bit aswell
A friend of mine is a transport consultant and that is how he explained it to a group of us in a pub. Getting the long journeys off the local track, freeing them up for local commute and cargo. All about capacity.

But someone wanted a tagline and the whole time thing got rolling and the real purpose took a back seat.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Genuinely, I'd quite happily never go to London again - let alone get there any quicker than I already can.

The Trans Pennine route runs through my hometown and it's also getting significant amounts of pointless investment - at least the football supporters and shoppers will be able to shorten their journey times, while hundreds of local commuters who need short rail journeys will be able to watch the fancy new trains go hurtling through the stations while they wait for the Northern Snail Rail service from Dewsbury to Huddersfield..

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
HS2 should have always been built North down not South up.

It is the North that has a poor railway infrastructure not the South.
It’s served it’s purpose by making Birmingham a suburb of London.

Its all about getting people from Birmingham to London not from London to Birmingham

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Whittington Heath Golf Club got a new clubhouse, five new holes and a practice range, because HS2 was going straight through the course.
All the new stuff has been done, but there will be no railway anymore.
I don't know where this leaves them.

Track was to go between the two red X on map. Five new holes are up and running - they look good as does the clubhouse.

whittington.jpg

If anyone has more info on this, I would like to know.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s served it’s purpose by making Birmingham a suburb of London.

Its all about getting people from Birmingham to London not from London to Birmingham

I meant they should have done the Leeds to Birmingham or the Manchester to Birmingham section first and second. The costs of these sections would have been a lot cheaper in the first place.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
As an afterthought, where exactly is the north?
Like, what's north of the North Pole?

As far as GB is concerned anywhere north of Durham should be the North, and anywhere south is the South..
When I lived in the Isle of Wight Portsmouth was in the north.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The North, for me, starts at South Yorkshire on the east and Cheshire on the west. Bits of north Shropshire and Staffordshire could be classed as the north, if we are looking at it from a county perspective.

Draw a straight line across at Stoke I would say, that's about right imo.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As an afterthought, where exactly is the north?
Like, what's north of the North Pole?

As far as GB is concerned anywhere north of Durham should be the North, and anywhere south is the South..
When I lived in the Isle of Wight Portsmouth was in the north.
Simple guide.....

Attachments

• UK.png
    UK.png
    567.3 KB · Views: 26

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
From a personal point of view I know I'm in the "North" when I can get gravy on my fish and chips.
That's Ashbourne in Derbyshire.