HS2

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Doomed!
Would have been cheaper to fund research into teleportation.
Reminds me of the ill fated APT which was claimed as the greatest ever train to reduce journey times.
It made 4 journeys before retirement to a museum at Crewe.
Suggest an ideal location for the museum of HS2. Curzon Street in Birmingham.

Coming soon is the 200th anniversary of British Railways (1825-2025).
Don't mention the HS2.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Expect a further announcement about the southern section.
Scrap the high speed train and replace it with a normal train to link the Elizabeth Line with Birmingham New Street.
Some towns in between have a very poor rail service.
Nearest station to Daventry is Long Buckby which only has stopping trains to London and Birmingham.
Northampton is not well served.
Kenilworth has just one train an hour to Leamington and Coventry.
Smaller places like Southam and Burton Green could also benefit from park and rides.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In terms of overspend and value delivered... i think the HS2 pales in comparison to the billions eaten by the defunct Track & Trace system... at the end of the day, they did neither track nor trace of that money.

D

Deleted member 1147

In terms of overspend and value delivered... i think the HS2 pales in comparison to the billions eaten by the defunct Track & Trace system... at the end of the day, they did neither track nor trace of that money.
Not to mention the VIP lane costs of PPE provision

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Wasn't it "Test and Trace" rather than "Track"? I'm sure I read somewhere that 90% of the budget went on testing. Although that does still leave several billion pounds in the other 10% that was spent failing to trace people.

Edited to add a link - https://fullfact.org/health/test-and-trace-37-billion/

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can someone please explain what the reason behind HS2 is? My understanding was that it would cut the travelling time between London and Birmingham by 20 minutes. Can commuters not get up 20 minutes earlier?

It was suppose to free up space on the rails for more traffic so more can go by rail again thus freeing up the roads a bit aswell

They started it all wrong

Should have done the north first..land is cheaper and could improve transport for areas that need improvement

Then should have been connected at kings cross with high speed 1

The fact they ended it in Euston .. or would have was ridiculous enough

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What is the point in HS2... when all the drivers are on strike anyways... instead give that money to drivers and others and run an efficient and RELIABLE service..

(Great British Railways anyone)

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I still can’t work out how a (slightly) quicker train journey can make lots of money for businesses in the North. Manufacturing firms won’t be sending goods on the rails as they will mostly be passenger trains and why do people need to travel for business meetings nowaday? Also, if it becomes quicker to get to London, surely more people in the North will travel to London to shop, therefore depriving Northern businesses?

Is it possible for someone on the forum to explain this to me, without getting too political of course?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The idea was to open up a larger catchment area for commuters to London so that they wouldn't have to pay such massive prices for their houses as they could now commute from further out in the same journey time.
There was zero benefit for th0se already living in the midlands or the north.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If the cancelling of HS2 annoys you, it may be time to read the “ Beeching cuts” on wikipedia. It was accepted at the time by the powers that be, that ” getting around on buses” is the future and far better. 😳
Anyone been on a bus lately.
The point being that the very people that slashed railway lines were saying that HS2 from London to Manchester etc etc is the best thing since sliced bread. Now it’s not the best thing since sliced bread.🤔
finishing on a positive there is now £36 billion to spend on rds and other railways etc 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
Am off before Billy boots dishes out his first infraction.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The idea was to open up a larger catchment area for commuters to London so that they wouldn't have to pay such massive prices for their houses as they could now commute from further out in the same journey time.
There was zero benefit for th0se already living in the midlands or the north.

Whilst I disagree that this is what it was entirely about.. but in this situation how does it not benefit those already in the Midlands? They could get the jobs paying more money, use that money to spend in local businesses in the Midlands

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I still can’t work out how a (slightly) quicker train journey can make lots of money for businesses in the North. Manufacturing firms won’t be sending goods on the rails as they will mostly be passenger trains and why do people need to travel for business meetings nowaday? Also, if it becomes quicker to get to London, surely more people in the North will travel to London to shop, therefore depriving Northern businesses?

Is it possible for someone on the forum to explain this to me, without getting too political of course?
It wasn't really about speed, it was about increasing capacity. Take pressure off the existing lines, allowing more routes, more frequent trains at a local level. At the same time, have a more reliable, and perhaps more frequent, mainline set up.

If you have better connectivity between the big cities and also locally then firms are more likely to move to those areas, expand in those areas. If you are running transport via a Victorian system, people won't go there.

As for people in the north wanting to go to London to shop, forgetting their own cities........errr no. No thanks.