How young is too young?

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
My son is three years old and my wife has suggested I try to get him playing golf but I'm not sure as I think he may be a little too young.

Does anyone have any experience of getting a toddler into golf? How did you go about doing it? I've had thoughts about cutting down an old 7 iron and taking him to a field or something to have a go at whacking balls but would it be better to try and get him putting?

Feedback/experience would be greatly appreciated.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don’t cut down an old 7 iron....!!!
Worst thing you can do for a kid of any age

At that age
Plastic clubs
Plastic balls
Back garden or club practice ground

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don’t cut down an old 7 iron....!!!
Worst thing you can do for a kid of any age

At that age
Plastic clubs
Plastic balls
Back garden or club practice ground

^^^^^This

It is how cricket, hockey and other stick and ball sports are taught to small kids now. Lots of fun, no one gets hurt.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Had the wee fella down at the park putting since he was 2. There's a putting green there on an old bowling green. We couldn't work out if he was right or left handed so he went round 9 holes left handed then went round again right handed, much to the amusement of on-lookers.
He'll be 6 next month and he's definitely left handed. I got him a driver and a 9-iron last year for his birthday and he loves it. Got him a block of group lessons last year for a number of weeks and that taught him a few basics. I'm planning on taking him to the pitch and putt this summer to work on golfing 'ettiquette' as he has no idea and just ploughs ahead.
I think the trick is to let them enjoy it so they want to keep going back. That's why I've been a bit lax about the rules so far.
Tiger Woods he ain't but as long as they enjoy it any age is a good age.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As others have said, make it fun, and make it the child's choice.

My daughter is 2, she saw me practising and then wanted to copy. She regularly asks to go to the "golf house" which is her name for the driving range. I ended up getting here a "Golphin for kids" club, it's supposed to be for 3-year-old up, but it's short enough that she can swing it around a bit and hit balls. We don't do anything formal yet, I just let her do what she wants, which sometimes is hitting golf balls and other times sorting range balls into baskets.

I don't think there is really a set age to do things, it depends on how interested the child is, and whether they are at an appropriate stage where they won't just try and bludgeon you or anyone else with the clubs.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a conversation a few years back with an American golf coach. I asked him when his kids were going to learn to play, and hismreply was when they stop growing.
He felt the body wouldn’t stand up to it, with too many injuries.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had a conversation a few years back with an American golf coach. I asked him when his kids were going to learn to play, and his reply was when they stop growing.
He felt the body wouldn’t stand up to it, with too many injuries.

So potentially his kids might not start until they are in their twenties?!

I'm all for not risking injury to kids, but that's excessive. It bothers me how people think kids are incredibly fragile and stop them from doing all kinds of sporting activities. Kids will make bigger developments in strength and technique when starting relatively Young, this is scientifically proven. Sensible volume and intensity of training are what is important, and again there is plenty of scientific literature around this.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
My golf partner has a son who is 5 he will be 6 in June, he has been playing for 2 years now. He is awesome and loves playing.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So potentially his kids might not start until they are in their twenties?!

I'm all for not risking injury to kids, but that's excessive. It bothers me how people think kids are incredibly fragile and stop them from doing all kinds of sporting activities. Kids will make bigger developments in strength and technique when starting relatively Young, this is scientifically proven. Sensible volume and intensity of training are what is important, and again there is plenty of scientific literature around this.

Isn't the key to give them clubs that aren't too heavy for them?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you watched the drive, chip and putt at the masters it seems a lot of them start soon after they learn to walk.

I agree with the comments about not using cut down adult clubs - the head will be too heavy in relation to the shaft. Sports Direct do kids clubs singly.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Why not get a single kids club, putter and ball and let them get on with it. If they enjoy it, you can got to the range as they get older if and if the bug bites get them into group of kids the same age for lessons

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
The best age to start kids is the age they become interested, my 4 year old son has had golf clubs since he was 3 plays with them in the garden, have taken him to the practice area a few times but he doesn't 'want' to go yet which is fine. I wouldn't ever force him to do anything he wasn't fully into, if he grows into great if not then no problem there are lots of other sports

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Holding off with mine till he can actually follow instruction. Happy for him to hockey plastic balls/clubs around the garden for another two summers. Will ask him the summer after he is 4, so half way to 5 at least. Then get him proper junior clubs if he is interested.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
my boy is 5 in June and has shown no interest in golf, football or any sports. I've bought him a kids putter but he's shown very little interest in it.
In fact he told me last week he doesn't like football. Which right now breaks my heart but I just hope when he gets into year 1 and 2 and begins to play he'll get involved in it.

Friend of mine was into motocross and his kid got good at it, national and european races, spent 1,000s on a motorhome, bikes, kit etc etc. But as soon as he hit 15/16 his lad switched to football so all the gear amassed over the years was flogged, the kid is now looking at possibly making it at pro level and is really good at football.

You can't really pressure kids into things and with my lad we've never pushed him to do anything, get rid of his dummy, come out of his cot, potty training, he's done it all in his own time when he wants too. I just hope the same approach works with sport in that one day he just gets involved. He does actually like a kick about but mainly just to throw himself round the lawn.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I bought my Daughter a small wedge & a small putter, from American golf, I’ve not put any pressure on her to play, but sometimes if I’m chipping in the garden, or putting in the kitchen, she’ll ask to play, and she’ll mess about with her clubs for a bit - she’s now asking to come to the driving range with me, so we’ll give that a try now the weathers better.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Isn't the key to give them clubs that aren't too heavy for them?

I wouldn't say there is one single key, but in golf, this would be 1 component making up the intensity, another would be regulating volume i.e. how many balls they hit in a single session.

Appropriate volume and intensity with appropriate rest and most sports are safe for kids.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
The youngest one playing with our "Tiger group" at the club is 4 now, but she started when she was only 3. It looks so cute when she carries her tiny golf bag around. I think she has 3 clubs in it, a driver, an iron and a putter, all really small, but "real" clubs, not the plastic ones. Her older brother has been playing for a while, I think that is why she wanted to start, even though she is younger than anyone else in the group.

The tiger group (which is all the kids younger than 8 years, I think) practices once a week, I think it is just 45 minutes, and the pro throws in a lot of games (also some non-golf-related stuff, like football or playing tag) to make it fun.