How young is too young?

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I've been taking my daughter to the driving range since she was 18 months (to watch but let her swing a club).
she now has a level of interest in it (she is now 4) and asked me to take her the other week, which was a surprise.

My advice is;
Give your kid lots of attention. Don't just focus on your game and expect them to be content in looking after themselves.
Get them a club that is the right size for them (good recommendation earlier about GolPhin clubs)
Don't put too much pressure on your kid to focus purely on golf all the time. Sometimes, they want to hit balls & sometimes they don't.

Personally;
I always buy her an ice-cream when we go. I think this is the main reason she likes golf. And this includes the dead of winter when she still requests one.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
"Give your kid lots of attention. Don't just focus on your game and expect them to be content in looking after themselves."

if i took my boy to the range I don't think it would be to focus on my game. I'd prob take one club and hit few around trying to get him to hit a ball or two as well.

Actually, I just had a thought, he could film my swing for me! ha ha ha. A four year old would have steadier hands than chrisd

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
"Give your kid lots of attention. Don't just focus on your game and expect them to be content in looking after themselves."

if i took my boy to the range I don't think it would be to focus on my game. I'd prob take one club and hit few around trying to get him to hit a ball or two as well.

Actually, I just had a thought, he could film my swing for me! ha ha ha. A four year old would have steadier hands than chrisd

I've seen so many dads take their kids to the range who don't pay attention to their little ones at all.

D

Deleted member 21258

Get them into it as soon as possible, make it enjoyable and fun and not to serious, laugh over the bad shots and run round like a mad man when they do a good one, whether that is in your back garden, up the range or on the course.

Adam started a little later in life with a tiny 7(or 8) iron, then we bought a small set of clubs from sportsdirect iirc(Dunlop, all are still in the shed).

Just wish I could have those days back again they were so much fun, so much excitement when he hit a good shot and wished work hadn't got in the way of golf/life for about ten years, those days I will never get back.:(

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
So my boy is now 4. We did get him some plastic clubs for the house which he enjoyed but they were no good outside, we've taken him to a few football training sessions but it's not really 'clicked' for him and he doesn't enjoy it a massive amount so yesterday I took him to American Golf and grabbed him a starter set for 3-5 year old consisting of a driver, 7 iron and putter with a bag. He's been asking to play golf for a few months and he enjoys watching golf with me on the telly so I though it was about time.

On the advice of the shop assistant I also got some of the foam practice balls.

Got him home and out in the garden and let him have a go whacking the foam balls with his 7 iron and he loved it! I tried to give him as little advice as possible and just let him work it out for himself but he was getting a little frustrated so I stood behind him, helped him to position his feet shoulder width apart and just encouraged him to concentrate, take the club back and then swing through, I stood back and he managed to hit it across the garden; the look on his face absolutely melted me!

Next step will be down at the park with proper balls I think or maybe even up to the golf club to have a go on the practice area.

Any further tips from anyone would be appreciated. I'm very conscious I don't want to inadvertently ingrain bad habits and I'm sure I've read somewhere (possible in Harvey Penick's Little Red Book) about it being best to just let kids hit how they want to hit even if that is cross handed for example so that's what I'm trying to do.

He certainly enjoyed his first go with his new clubs yesterday but he has asked for a "hat like daddy's" for when he's playing golf so I think a cap will be next on the list!

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
can't remember who said it, but basically the only way to get really better at golf is to go back in time and take it up earlier.

Kids seem to be able to swing so naturally, the younger the better

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been reading up on this stuff.

I’m still in the cross training camp, which is basically do as many sport as possible and don’t focus on one until around 12.

Also one non golfing parent per child learning is essential. So if you take your kid to the range, don’t expect to play yourself until they are old enough to do it unsupervised.

Not even thinking about my tot until next summer, knowing him I think he needs to be 5 until he tries it. I also want him to try other sports so we have tennis stuff, balls, hoops etc.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We have a group of around twelve kids take part in our Flag 50 comps. They play off of blue tees on our front 9. Holes are shortened from 110 yards up to 330 on the par 5s. Age range is 5 to 10. All seem to enjoy it.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Not sure when my lad 1st started playing with plastic clubs, but he was 4 when he got his first set of junior metal shafted clubs. He's 9 now, and definitely has an aptitude for the game, and has always enjoyed a round of golf - but I've always been wary of trying to keep it fun, so played a lot of a rounds on a 9 hole, Par 30 course near us.

Kids don't see the game the same as us when they are young though, they just want to hit good shots, but the continuing pressure to keep the score down isn't a priority - but that will come as they get older. I've been taking Jamie to a local pro over the winter (they have an indoor simulator), rather than continuing with the academy he was in. Two reasons for that, the first being he wasn't really getting to learn at the level he needed, and secondly, it isn't much fun for the kids or the parents when you are stood outside in January watching them knock 8 foot putts in on the practice green. The individual lessons have been a massive success, and his best gross score on a local, relatively easy 18 hole course has come down from around the 120 mark to 102 (with a nine on the last - I was frustrated and chuffed for him in equal messure).

In essence, keep it fun and don't puch them too hard.

NearHull

Visit site
Not sure when my lad 1st started playing with plastic clubs, but he was 4 when he got his first set of junior metal shafted clubs. He's 9 now, and definitely has an aptitude for the game, and has always enjoyed a round of golf - but I've always been wary of trying to keep it fun, so played a lot of a rounds on a 9 hole, Par 30 course near us.

Kids don't see the game the same as us when they are young though, they just want to hit good shots, but the continuing pressure to keep the score down isn't a priority - but that will come as they get older. I've been taking Jamie to a local pro over the winter (they have an indoor simulator), rather than continuing with the academy he was in. Two reasons for that, the first being he wasn't really getting to learn at the level he needed, and secondly, it isn't much fun for the kids or the parents when you are stood outside in January watching them knock 8 foot putts in on the practice green. The individual lessons have been a massive success, and his best gross score on a local, relatively easy 18 hole course has come down from around the 120 mark to 102 (with a nine on the last - I was frustrated and chuffed for him in equal messure).

In essence, keep it fun and don't puch them too hard.

“...don’t puch them too hard....”. That spull chucker is at it again! Did you mean “...don’t punch them too hard”😂😂😂

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My son is 32 now but started golf at the age of five.
By the time he was seven he was quite good.
But some members at my previous club complained he was to young to “ be running around”
They refused him a membership because he was under ten.
Because he could not come the club with me he lost interest and started footy and cricket.
Sadly he has not come back to golf like I hoped he would.
I know things are different now with youngsters , but check your clubs policy.
As soon as they can swing the club is soon enough imo.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My son started at 7 with a junior set of Lynx clubs - he goes to Saturday group lessons, pitch and putt and the academy course (par 3) at our club.
He's now 10 and still does this I never keep score just let him play and enjoy himself which is the best method for him.

Keep it fun and all about the quality time you spend with them; that will be the key for future enjoyment and the games longevity.