How to slow down upper body rotation

CMNI

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi Experts,

I hope someone has a drill or a bit of advice to help.

I used to be a really bad slicer, all down to no hip rotation through impact which in turn was throwing off point of contact through the swing.

I have no developed the opposite, hips are firing but more often than not I'm opening up my upper body, instead of keeping my shoulders pointing at the target through impact.

This is resulting in Hooks, or big pushes put left. The annoying thing is, it is only with my irons- which for months were all i could use.

Woods, hybrids, wedges are all grand, 5-8 seem to cause the most problem. I hate getting it out there into the fairway only to send it off to the woods on the left.

If I slow down I play the ball straight, but it would take me two shots (Iron wedge) for what I should be covering in one.

I hope this makes sense. If anyone can help I will try to get a video.

Thanks,
Chris

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Experts,

I hope someone has a drill or a bit of advice to help.

I used to be a really bad slicer, all down to no hip rotation through impact which in turn was throwing off point of contact through the swing.

I have no developed the opposite, hips are firing but more often than not I'm opening up my upper body, instead of keeping my shoulders pointing at the target through impact.

This is resulting in Hooks, or big pushes put left. The annoying thing is, it is only with my irons- which for months were all i could use.

Woods, hybrids, wedges are all grand, 5-8 seem to cause the most problem. I hate getting it out there into the fairway only to send it off to the woods on the left.

If I slow down I play the ball straight, but it would take me two shots (Iron wedge) for what I should be covering in one.

I hope this makes sense. If anyone can help I will try to get a video.

Thanks,
Chris

difficult to give stuff with not seeing what's actually happening in the swing motion

to be real honest not yet really seen anyone who rotates their torso just 'too quick'

usually more pans out to be issues with lower body stability along with the sequence of the swing motion starting from the top and shoulders moving out on a little ways wrong plane angle rather than starting from the bottom up

seems from the info trying to read between what's been written that a lot of the issues revolve around a good bunch of shots starting leftfield of target and either curving further left, or continuing more straight leftfield path

thing is all the statics of grip, stance, posture and also how the club travels back to the top of the backswing, along with how the body moves in the backswing along with the weight stuff like all of that
plus is there stuff like a bunch of lateral sway going on instead of rotation going back to atop the swing
is the club being dragged back inside on the ways back
all would possible play into the issues of out and over and swinging leftfield - if that's what is goin down in the motion

only real ways to start maybes to get a handle on the issue would be to post up both a dtl viewpoint and face-on viewpoint of a swing with say a mid irons if irons are the biggest issue

here though is a bunch of great exercises for strength and stability as well as rotational sequencing etc.

[video=youtube;a53iThFQhSQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a53iThFQhSQ[/video]

Last edited: