How to play in heather lies...

D

Deleted Member 1156

Lots of heather at my place and there are basically two options. If you have a very good lie, by which I mean nothing behind or directly in front of the ball, you have a reasonable chance to progress the ball towards the green. If however it is sat down and that is 90% of the time then chances are you are looking at a lofted club back to the short stuff. As stated above, it really can wrap around the hosel so it's a good idea to aim right of where you want the ball to finish because there is a strong chance the clubface will close over through impact.

munro007

Tour Rookie
www.craigmillarpark.co.uk
Yep. One of those will turn the little patch of heather you are in into a fairway bunker in no time at all! :whoo:

Any idea where I can get one? :whistle:

Funny you mention that, i just got one from my Pro, you know who thats is, the one and only, top 100 fitter in the world, he's that good, i forgot his name. :whistle:

All joking aside, this bad boy rescue club, will get you out of any kind of rough.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Funny you mention that, i just got one from my Pro, you know who thats is, the one and only, top 100 fitter in the world, he's that good, i forgot his name. :whistle:

All joking aside, this bad boy rescue club, will get you out of any kind of rough.

28 deg hybrid won't get you out of bunkers at my place, need a 56 deg at least;)

V

vkurup

I can use it in 2-3 bunkers at my place.

Yes it will replace my 5 iron, so much easier to hit, but its not the nicest looking club. lol

if it does the job & is legal, then dont care how it looks.... I know a lot of examples around the house that can fit that description.

billyfish

Visit site
Ok ! This is a good tip that I have used and it works. When you are in deep rough or heather , grip the shaft very tight with your left hand (right handed gofers) And try and hit it a little harder. Tight left hand stops the shaft from twisting.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I can use it in 2-3 bunkers at my place.

Yes it will replace my 5 iron, so much easier to hit, but its not the nicest looking club. lol

Actually, I use my 4 rescue from some fairway bunkers. But would never risk a hybrid from the heather.

I was out with a bunch of Americans today for 36 holes at Walton Heath - which does have the wire-eist heather I know - and there was no way that it was anything other than SW or 9-iron from the heather. And these were guys that had got around RSG, Cinq Port, Hoylake, Birkdale and Sunningdale (both) quite successfully before today!

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I grew up playing at places with plenty of heather, East Berks, Hindhead and Hankley Common (could get on for a reasonable green fee there in the 70's :)).

It's all been said really.

Pro at East Berks bascally told me take your sandwedge, play for the fairway, grip tight and swing hard.