How to hit rescue clubs?

Baldyeagle

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've tended to 'sweep' my rescue club shots with the ball forward in the stance. On a good day, this results in sweet 'clicks', good height and pretty straight shots (particularly from semi-rough). My problem is lack of consistency though & a partner recently mentioned to me that he's always tried to play his rescues like irons and hit down onto the ball - he's more consistent with them than I am so is that what I should be doing? (I know I can try this out on the range but don't want to start messing about with my swing unless it's the right way to go).

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've only recently started using a Rescue club,after replacing my 2 Iron with a 19* Rescue.
I usually play the ball about an inch inside my left heel.I've tried playing the ball further back in my stance,but seemed to block a lot shots.I did try choking down the grip a little when playing the ball further back in the stance,and it did seem to improve the strike.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sonartec (one of the best makers of hybrid clubs) used to have a section on their website about hitting hybrids and they recommended hitting it the same way you would hit a 5 iron, slightly back from left heel and with a descending blow.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
A recent article in our esteemed sponsers magazine said that if the lie is good and the ball sitting up, hit it like a fairway wood and if the lie is bad and/or in the rough, hit it like an iron - works for me like that

Chris

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Let's face it. Even a club with as low loft as a 3 or 5 wood can be struck with a descending blow.

I'm afraid I cheat. Off a tee or nice lie, I like to clip it near the front foot. Anything else, and it's more like a 4 or 5 iron. Different results.....as someone else said, it's rather too easy to push it straight right....

I guess the ball position therefore varies (in reality) only few cms, but that's the way I like to approach it as I set up.