How to complete scorecard for initial handicap

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Hi guys,

This might seem really obvious but I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I need to fill out a scorecard for an initial handicap. Just want to make sure I get it right! The instructions on the club joining pack weren't too clear unfortunately.

I've looked online but I can only seem to find instructions on what must be included on a competition scorecard.

With winter approaching its becoming harder to get a tee time at weekends so I don't want to rule myself out of half the day by not being able to enter comps.

TIA

HH

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
as per DanFST The major point is that you must have a marker to confirm your score (he may be the person marking it at some clubs). Where I play a marker must have a handicap but check your own club's rules, some insist it is a member.

The round must be played according as though it were a comp round eg there must not be more than 2 temporary greens.
You need cards totalling 54 holes
You may play only 9 holes but they must be a 9 hole measured course (check with the club to see which holes).

Put your name on the card, 'Initial Handicap' in the comp box and date the card. Indicate which tee you have used by either crossing out the unused ones, circling or ticking the tee.

It must be played fully in accordance by the Rules of Golf except that if you reach a point on a hole where you have already scored more than twice the par you do not have to complete the hole just put a dash in the box for that holes score (from 2nd November this is par plus 5 shots).

You put the gross score for each hole in the column indicated by your name
You do not need to total the score.

You must sign the card next to players signature

Depending on the clubs rules the marker either signs the card or their name has to written in a legible fashion.

You may either keep the card until you have cards for 54 holes or hand it in straight away.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good advice above but COVID-19 restrictions may make it all wrong with regard to scorecards. Best to ask at your club for their way of doing it

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Brilliant, thanks for the responses. A couple of guys I work with are also members so will try and get on with them to get some cards marked then.

Gowferdee

Visit site
useful advice...

three of us are joining a club for winter - will we be able to sign off each others cards to get handicaps?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In these COVID times, are clubs still passing cards around? We use the IG app or a photo of the card sent to the pro shop, no need for markers signature just their name and a verbal confirmation that the score is correct

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
useful advice...

three of us are joining a club for winter - will we be able to sign off each others cards to get handicaps?

In all probability not.

You need to check the requirements where you have joined. As said where I play the marker must have a handicap (or be someone appointed by the committee).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In these COVID times, are clubs still passing cards around? We use the IG app or a photo of the card sent to the pro shop, no need for markers signature just their name and a verbal confirmation that the score is correct

We are still using cards but they must only be handled by the player and the marker's name has to be completely legible. We tried the photo route but too much extra work compared to a player recording their own score and too many players not completing the photo stage. Only about 30% of players were actually using the IG app and we now have moved the PSI screen to suitable location.

D

Deleted member 23344

At my club, you preregister that you are submitting a card and then email them a copy of your own card after the round ... however, you have to have played with another member, so that they can confirm the score if requested. Currently that accompanying member has to have a handicap themselves, but I suspect that this may change post 2 November. Not an issue for me, as my playing partners who are members there all have handicaps.

NOTE TO OP: Your club will probably only allow you to submit cards if you have told them of your intention to do so prior to the round. This is to stop you cherry picking which ones you submit.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
NOTE TO OP: Your club will probably only allow you to submit cards if you have told them of your intention to do so prior to the round. This is to stop you cherry picking which ones you submit.

There is no requirement for players to pre-register prior to playing a round that is used to determine the Initial Handicap.

It is up to a player to decide whether or not to submit a card for initial handicap.