How often do you replace your wedges?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's the way I understand it. The grooves are already at the limit of legal, sharpening them probably makes them illegal. I sharpen mine once in a while:devilish:. No idea if I'm doing it right or using the correct file. I hit my wedges a lot when I start practicing....which is any day now. If I hit 90 (one bag) balls, 85 of those will be wedges. In a normal week once the course dries out a bit....I'll hit a couple of hundred wedge shots a week.
Imo it makes not a jot of difference.
to Elite players yes but handicap golfers no.

sunshine

Visit site
I changed my wedges when I changed my irons, after about 9 years.

I went out on the course to compare them. Couldn't tell any difference with the 54, both flight and stopping power were similar. The new 58 definitely launched lower, it could be because it was gripping the ball more whereas the ball ran up the face of old club, but they both seemed to stop the same distance from the pitch mark.

I am guessing that if you play on a links course the clubs will wear much more quickly as sand is much more abrasive than clay.

TigerBear

Visit site
It’s something most ams could learn from.
most ams just batter driver down the range.
but in my experience the lower the handicap the more they practice their short game.
I have seen loads of high cappers who nail it off the tee, but can’t chip and putt to save their life.
I try to do 50/50 long game and short game.
but don’t wear my wedge out in two weeks.:)

The majority of my practice time is with PW to LW and putting. Without a shadow of a doubt!

tomshanks

Hacker
Visit site
Dread to think how old mine are! In fairness they all have spent a fair share of their lifetime banished to the shed for misbehavior so actual time 'in the bag' is much less.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Whenever I get a new set of irons, the wedges come with it and I discard or pass on the wedges with the rest of the set. Looking back, that works out at every 10-12 years.