How much would you pay for a custom fit?

DCB

Visit site
I've never yet paid up front for a fitting. I've had fitted clubs from way back in '95 when I had a set of Tommy Armour 845s. Fitted by my club pro and built to my requirements at the then factory in Livingston. Played with them for about 7 years before changing. I've had several fittings for Mizuno clubs since then and haven't paid for any of these fittings. I have always been upfront and have been going to buy, dependant on the outcome of the fitting, so there has been an incentive to get it right and get me fitted with what I'm after.

I can see where some of the fitters are coming from with their charges. I've seen people on here extol the virtues of a certain fitting process and then end the paragraph with comments about checking prices and finding best online. I see that as the biggest problem nowadays. That and the expectation level of many who go for a fitting without really knowing what they are getting fitted for. The Pro/Outlet has to have the best of gear to make sure the client can go away with a head full of figures that really don't mean that much to us, as we afterall, play the game for fun.

Wonder where fitting will end up in a few years time if it keeps going like this ;)

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fair enough. From what you say, that took two hours?!! Did they have silver dots on the balls per chance?

The 2hrs was total time from when I walked in the door, had a chat about my game, warmed up, hit some shots, picked a few that were supposed to help, hit some more shots with new clubs to compare, checked lie, looked at some grips and got a quote for a full set. Probably nearer 1hr 45.

Yeah, silver dots randomly stuck to the balls (and occasionally falling off)

markgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
what i mean mate in get it wrong, is i was getting fitted in AG one of the pro's that was fitting me said 100% regular shafts in iron. In middle of fit another pro said 100% stiff shafts. 6 iron swing speed was 89 mph, launch at 19.5 degree spin rate 5300. Left them to argue it out. Got fitted elsewhere was stiff shaft, turn out the first pro was trying to shift a set they had in stock which was regular. Like everything in life phil there is good and bad people at everything mate

Also thought i would add i bought the irons in stiff flex (not from AG) love them, stop on greens, flight is perfect and penetrating even into wind they are great

The sales guy in question in american golf in store has a very bad rep for this lots and lots have complained but he still works there and is now assistant manager. Speaks for what they are a business that just wants to sell to make cash and do not care about customer

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Yes when you go to a retailer like that there is only one thing on some of their minds - the sell

That's why I would never get a custom fit from AG or DG - will always get advise from a pro with a solid reputation and fully qualified.

Sat and watched an AG custom fit and there is nothing custom about it - it's the sale that matters and nothing else

markgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes when you go to a retailer like that there is only one thing on some of their minds - the sell

That's why I would never get a custom fit from AG or DG - will always get advise from a pro with a solid reputation and fully qualified.

Sat and watched an AG custom fit and there is nothing custom about it - it's the sale that matters and nothing else

100% AGREE MATE its like going into a car sales

Forgot to mention he then gave me a pw and my swig speed dropped down as shaft was shorter he then called other pro to check swing speed data and did not mention it was a pw. But i dropped in it. Never get fit there its a joke

Last edited:

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I paid £40 for a full bag 2 hour fitting with a clubmaker who then built my Orka's. The clubs cost £495 for 3-PW forged blades so total cost of £535 I thought was very reasonable. Equivalent Mizunos or Titleists etc would have cost about £800.
My titleists cost £670, 3-p. Fitting inc at Titleist fitting centre. More than 535 granted, but certainly not 800. Purchased through my pro, so they actually didn't cost me anything by the time I'd sold my old irons and offset the balance with my club comp winnings that year...