How many times do I have to learn the same lesson?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I shot 92 in the medal on Sunday, couldn't hit the ball straight. Went to the range on Monday to try & sort it out. I hit 50 balls, left, right, topped, shanked, fat. Tried another 50, same result with the first 30. Then I thought back to a lesson the other week when the pro told me that I was getting the ball too far back in my stance. I tried moving the ball forward & what a transformation! Suddenly the ball was going dead straight & 20 yards farther.

Thinking back, I've probably been doing this for ages & have really struggled for the last year. I'm really optimistic about getting my 9 handicap back now, the difference is so big, with every club in the bag.

How many times do we have to reinvent the wheel?

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Glad it's not just me.
The worst thing is, it's when I'm on the 18th tee that I remember exactly what I've been doing wrong for the previous 17 holes! :eek:ne:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
after getting back into the game probably six years ago I now have all the clubs that I think will take my game to the next level. Really. The last two rounds I have been on fire and just imploded. Why? I had all me new bats last year and went no where. Why?
Am convinced that I have got back into slack habits. All the lessons I had teaching me the basics, I have just thrown out of the window. Pre shot routines the lot. I have got lazy. Last month or so I have made a concious effort to try and remember what I was taught, and it is working to to a massive extent. My main problem now is the wrong club selection aka course management. When that happens there's only gonna be one winner.
Back to Basics Bill, back to Basics 👍

thegoldenbear

Hacker
Visit site
Same theme, different angle. Anyone else have the irresistible urge to fiddle even when things are going well? Having just birdied 9 (one of the most difficult holes at my club) and having hit every fairway so far, I get on the 11th tee and decide to try and keep my right arm closer to the body to straighten my natural draw a little. Cue a push right into deep trouble and a lost ball. Followed by a trail of bogeys and another 0.1.
Not the first or last time I've done this, brainless.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same theme, different angle. Anyone else have the irresistible urge to fiddle even when things are going well? Having just birdied 9 (one of the most difficult holes at my club) and having hit every fairway so far, I get on the 11th tee and decide to try and keep my right arm closer to the body to straighten my natural draw a little. Cue a push right into deep trouble and a lost ball. Followed by a trail of bogeys and another 0.1.
Not the first or last time I've done this, brainless.
In Nick Faldos book he says that when he had a purple patch he always wanted more.
When he tried to hit it longer he lost his rhythm and lost his game.
So if it happens to the greats what chance do we have.

Back to basics is the only way!

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
No exactly what you mean!

My upper body is way to dominant so an over the top swing is a curse in my game. Slow it down, start the down swing with the lower body. Problem solved! but noooooooo lets crush the crap outta it and ponder why it goes right!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Frequently. Golf is a game of small margins and minor adjustments. So many things to remember, all too easy to forget one of them.

Spot on. I had a lesson yesterday and always seems to come back to grip. We worked on a different way of starting the grip to help me. He said it may seem always same issue but others struggle with more thing least you need only on issue to focus on. Get that and your handicap will fall he said

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
My game at present has deserted me, everything was going along swimmingly, but then drives started going wayward, followed by the fairway clubs, to the point I was teeing off with my 4 iron last weekend and the driver only came out of the bag on the 18th.

Was at the range last night and whatever ailment has caused the driver and fairways to fail me has spread to the irons, I'm at a loss in working out what's gone wrong. Like MiB I've recalled previous lessons but to no avail.

I think I need a lesson as a little refresher so the pro can see what's what and hopefully point me back in the right direction.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My game at present has deserted me, everything was going along swimmingly, but then drives started going wayward, followed by the fairway clubs, to the point I was teeing off with my 4 iron last weekend and the driver only came out of the bag on the 18th.

Was at the range last night and whatever ailment has caused the driver and fairways to fail me has spread to the irons, I'm at a loss in working out what's gone wrong. Like MiB I've recalled previous lessons but to no avail.

I think I need a lesson as a little refresher so the pro can see what's what and hopefully point me back in the right direction.

50p says the pro corrects you within the space of the first minute of the lesson and it resolves everything :D. It will be something minor that you can't put your finger on but they spot instantly.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Happens all the time.

I try not to think about my swing when I'm playing as I just overthink things and tighten up and strike the ball awful.

Unfortunately that usually means forgetting to do something which I only realise about half way round after my score card is a mess. :confused:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

BACK in 2014 I was playing my personal best golf. Hc dropped from 13 to 7, I won the HC division of our 2day club champs, 2 other board comps and finished 3rd in our order of merit. Thing started go off the boil around October and instead of a refresher lesson I related back to every lesson and pretty much killed any swing I had. Now of 14 if I could change one thing in my golfing service it would have been not set fixing in 2014!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I shot 92 in the medal on Sunday, couldn't hit the ball straight. Went to the range on Monday to try & sort it out. I hit 50 balls, left, right, topped, shanked, fat. Tried another 50, same result with the first 30. Then I thought back to a lesson the other week when the pro told me that I was getting the ball too far back in my stance. I tried moving the ball forward & what a transformation! Suddenly the ball was going dead straight & 20 yards farther.

Thinking back, I've probably been doing this for ages & have really struggled for the last year. I'm really optimistic about getting my 9 handicap back now, the difference is so big, with every club in the bag.

How many times do we have to reinvent the wheel?

There's a simple cure for this, just put a little symbol/mark on your golf balls as a reminder.
Something like a little arrow perhaps.
Just a thought.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've stripped the tuition right back. I'm hitting nicely, tempo is better and I'm feeling good. I've had some rubbish rounds lately but have managed to go back to basics like posture, distance from the ball (I often get too far away and a little hunched) and takeaway. I am managing to fix issues far easier (why didn't I do this ages ago?). It doesn't take much in golf to be a little out with huge consequences and so it pays (well for me) to keep checking the basics on a regular basis