How many "flushers" in one round??

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Started this (sorry Mono) in a different thread so thought I'd throw it open a bit wider.

Caught up on a load of threads the other night and read lots of game descriptions: "I'm driving it long & straight" "I'm a good putter" etc etc, you get the picture.

What do you class as a good drive/ chip/ putt etc?? Is it the outcome or the execution??

To take it a step further: how many shots do you hit per round that you are 100% happy with, execution & outcome??

I shot a 6 over par 76 last time out, so excluding tap ins I hit 68 shots which required some thought. I reckon I hit 5 shots that were right on the sweet spot, travelled as I wanted and ended up where I wanted it to go.

Ben Hogan said "If I hit one or two perfect shots in a round of golf - perfect shots - I've played a good round of golf." But then his standards and expectations would be light years ahead of what I expect.

Food for thought to go alongside any stats that folk keep??

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
At my level of ability, I'd say I hit around 10 shots a round that I'm very happy with at present. These tend to be the shots that allow me to keep my score (somewhat) respectable. I've found that they are generally mid iron shots into greens, that seems to be my forte at the moment.

D

Deleted member 1147

Last time out:
Shot gross 74 (3 over par)

2nd hole: 3 wood from 17th fairway to the middle of the 2nd fairway. Clean strike, split the bunkers and left me 75 yds to the middle of the green.

3rd hole: 8 iron from 175 downhill & down wind. Aimed it to land on the right half of the green as it slopes right to left. Left me pin high with a 6 foot putt.

13th hole: 300yd par 4 uphill. Good strike, faded into the bank in front of the green which meant it roled down the slope pin high which left me a wedge and putt for birdie.

15th hole: Long tricky dogleg over a borrow pit. Played to lay up with a 6 iron ovre a couple of bunkers. Struck sweetly and went where I was aiming.

17th hole: under a tree and couldn't do a proper swing. So I practised a flat hookey swing with an 8 iron and then hit it exactly as planned and layed up nicely short of the green
on the par 5.

Therefore I hit 5 exactly as planned but quite a few very nicely and that I was happy with.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i think for most people their perception of a good shot is in relation to their handicap and playing level.

The last time out i hit what other people classed as a "good drive" it was about 290, on a hole that slopes right to left (quite steeply) i ended up in the left semi rough after rolling across the fairway ... 2 people (22 & 24 h/cappers) was "oh nice drive" but i was gutted, all round id been nailing them straight but my old strong draw had come back in and it was started out down the right so should have ended up in the middle. As it was a dogleg right i ended up with a extra 40 yards on my second shot.

As i walked off the tee someone else in our group (who plays of 18) says to me quitely, " thats pissed you off aint it"...

this question will never have a clear cut answer, a shot that a mid 20's capper dreams about could be a 10/12 cappers bad shot.

But i agree i walk away from each round with roughly 5 shots that stay in my memory and about 10-15 id love to forget. the other 60 are just "so so shots"

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One maybe two if I'm lucky.

There are very few shots that go exactly how I want them too. I'd have to make a swing that feels goof with them aswell.

Sometimes I do 'get hot' chipping and putting so can hit alot of great short game shots in one round but not very often.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist and a big self critic so don't let myself get away with much. But you can be sure that if I say I've hit a good shot it's pretty damn good!!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
On saturday I had a very good round and hit 16 shots that I was proud off, the rest were all so-so. I know that sounds a lot but I was chuffed more than usual as I was trying to keep a minds eye on a target for every shot, even if it was just promoting the ball down the fairway.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
May be one or two, and they may not even look that good to someone else. I might hit shots they think are way better, but don't meet my exacting levels.

Strangely, I would rather hit the shot as I saw it, execute it perfectly, and yet have completely the wrong club in my hands, leading to a rubbish result, than stiff it with a slight mis hit every one else thought was great.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
what is gutting is when you think " thats a seven iron " you tee it up practice, swing is perfect, second practice swing is perfect, you set your self up, have a shuffle, and get that "this is gonna fly" thought. You strike it amazingly and know inside its gonna be close, only to realise you have under clubbed yourself..Bugger

B

birdieman

I can usually absolutely nail say 4 drives as that's a stronger part of my game. With irons shots if I middle 2 that go strong and online that's good going. Chips I'm ok at so maybe 3 or 4 there and putts, probably 4 really good ones in a round that hit the middle of the hole at teh correct speed, so total is about 14 shots out of 76 average gross which is only 18% of my shots being really good. Sounds about right.

funkyfred

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In what was an awful round on Sunday (28 pts 25h/c) I still managed to hit 10 what I would call very good shots.

Hole 2: up and down from the bunker. (2 shots)

Hole 9: pw lay up, to far back to try and hit it over the pond.

Hole 10: 7i again another lay up, hit to the exact spot.

Hole 11: sw over bunker on a down slope with no space to land the ball, managed to keep the ball on the putting surface, all my playing partners said great shot.

Hole 12: 7i Lay up on drive just short of another pond right on the dog leg.

Hole 12: Second short to this par 4 is 10 yards short of the green. Chip shot lips out.

Hole 13: 18 foot putt down a steep slope left to right goes straight in the middle of the cup, unfortunately for only one point.

Hole 14: Had to play out of the woods with the ball nestled tight up against a tree, so i take out my rescue club, turn it upside down and play out left handed. Hit the ball perfect and it shoots out 50 yards right into the middle of the fairway. Rest of the hole is cocked up, No score.

Hole 18: Beautiful 5 wood drive to right hand side of a narrow fairway, opening up the green.

My BIG problem is my inconsistancy, I am really hot and cold, and I'm working on my course management, but i still hit to many bad shots which at my place really takes you out of the hole.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Maybe a couple of drives straight down the middle and right out of the sweet spot. Perhaps a couple of 5/6/7 irons at a par 3 or longer par 4 straight over the flag. Closer in it's easier with the wedges and I probably hit 5 or 6 shots from 80-120 yards close on a good day. So excluding putts around 20% of full shots (on a good day) are pretty much as intended. On a bad day ...... :( :(

Also, very occasionally almost every shot feels fantastic, the game suddenly seems easy and there is a massive difference between those days and normality.... if only I could bottle that swing.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
Really flushed , super-sweet shots that go as you planned ? Not many tbh , but my not so sweet shots arent that bad either so I dont usually have too much cleaning up to do. I usually get my chipping and putting just about right these days so i'm more than happy to say a lot more of these shots go according to plan.

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com
I played yesterday and hit it as good as i have all year and flushed only 1 shot where i got the strike, trajectory and spin the way i wanted. It was a low, fade with a 6 iron out of the semi, round a tree to about 20 feet.

I normally get one or two a round that go as planned for full swings but i normally get partial wedge shots as planned.

One of my best competitive rounds in the last 2 years was -3 round Goswick and i mishit every full shot in the round.

I think that as long as you keep it out of trouble and don't miss the target by much you can still score when not striking it, but it is more enjoyable when you flush it........ :)

Adrena1in

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i think for most people their perception of a good shot is in relation to their handicap and playing level.

I don't always think of it that way. A good shot for me would be one that a Professional would be happy with. Let's say I've got 150 to go and I put it on the green, but miles from the hole. Not bad for a 16 handicapper, but I wouldn't be especially happy with it.

On the flip side though, (and where I agree with you), is that I would be happy with a 250-yard drive down the middle...a Pro most definitely wouldn't.

I tend to go away from a round with one or maybe two memorably good shots.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pretty interesting reading (to me anyway) to see just how few shots are hit every round exactly as planned.

It's all subjective of course as it can only be judged honestly by yourself. It's pretty difficult to separate the shot from the outcome, as after all that outcome is the be all and end all really.

A young prospective PGA trainee at our club is forever having this drummed inot him by our head pro. The lad tuts and sighs (and more) when the strike isn't perfect or the spin is bang on. He maintains that good scores aren't about the great shots, it's limiting the crapness of the crap ones.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Its subjective. No point having 5-10 perfect ones if the other 70 are rubbish. Also, wouldn't you rather hit it poorly and post a winning score and get cut than have a great ball striking day and not scoring, especially in a competition

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
He maintains that good scores aren't about the great shots, it's limiting the crapness of the crap ones.

Hmmmm, someone from the RG school of thought.

It only works SO far though. In my case about +12 gross. :eek:

In answer to the O.P. I had to wait until the last full shot of the day yesterday to hit a truly excellent shot. I knew the flag was left but couldn't see if it was middle or back. Hit it to the middle, watched it roll towards the flag until it went out of sight. Got up there, dead middle (front to back) of the green and 100% on target. Still had 15 foot to go...the pin was about 4 off the back. No birdie for me. :mad:

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
Flushed shots? Maybe one possibly two on a good day.

I get greenside in reg most of the time so my score comes from chipping(which is decent) and putting(which is poor) for my handicap.Sometimes in a bounce game shoot a 70 par68 and not hit one good shot just 70 acceptable ones