How many comps?

Jason.H

Visit site
Our club has a comp every Saturday and Sunday and quite a few midweek throughout the year. A really full on Callander.
The last club I was a member of had half as many.
Last year i played 80+ comps not counting opens. Maybe I should cut down ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We introduced a major program of comps (4 a week) prior to the WHS coming in to give players plenty of opportunity to have at least 20 scores in the preceding year.
New management has now scaled this back to just a few a month.

I play in about 30 a year.

All of our club comps November to Feb are optional to allow for players to decide on the day according to course conditions but Seniors still have fortnightly fixed ones.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
We have comps every Wednesday and Saturday of the year.

We also have 1 seniors comp per month on a Tuesday - used to be more but they reduced it as they all play the Wednesday anyway!

RichA

Visit site
I played almost every comp in my first 2 years of membership at the club. The last 6 months I've mostly just been playing socially with my friends and I'm enjoying it much more. All comps at ours are drawn now and while there's nobody at our place that I actually dislike, it's more fun knowing I'll be playing with people who's company I enjoy.

AussieKB

Visit site
I play approx 150 comps a year, helps with our weather out here in OZ, and all year golf, could play 50 more if I wanted too.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have comps most weekends and there are quite a few grumblings about people having to pay extra to play at weekends due to the amount of competitions

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Probably about 25 comps at my home track this year, not all individual, some will be pairs or team comps.
6 opens on top of that.

Throughout the summer I'll attend the weekly evening club night & hopefully play in a few B-team matches.

The highlight for me this year though will be playing the JCB course again :)

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
About 10
3 Club match play knockouts.
Thetford festive pairs.
Another open if we can find one somewhere interesting.
Then a few club comps if they fit in with the times I can play.

Now my lad has a HC I might play a few more with him.

I personally don’t see any difference in playing a comp v not playing in a comp. I try to shoot the best score I can, play to the rules and hole out. So, I don’t particularly like to hand money over to play in a comp when I know many of the competitors will be playing to a different set of rules.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surely they can still play but not in the competition.
It depends on how full / busy the club is. Many clubs around me are comp only on a Saturday due to the numbers wanting to play.

I don't agree with that by the way, you shouldn't be forced into playing in a comp simply because that is the only way you can get a game on a Saturday.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I play about a dozen a year..we have many more than that but some im not too bothered about.
Comps are often slow and ifmi have to start hanging around my joints stiffen and then that's it.....
Sometimes we have to book, sometimes it's roll up and play, sometimes (bigger comps) groups are drawn.
I tend to steer clear of things like the Club Champs (as I don't have a cat in hell's chance ) and a couple of other 2 day comps as I cant always make both days.
I haven't played the knockout matchplays for 20 years......
I'll play medals and stablefords - weekend and midweek - plus a couple of 4BBBs and Captains Day.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We have, or supposedly have 3 Wednesday, cups 3 Saturday medals and 3 Sunday stableford competitions per month, though I don't think that's the case in August. That's between April and September. We also have 9 silver trophys which are drawn comps.

Albo

Visit site
We have loads, every Saturday and Wednesday as standard then others on other days of the week, knockouts, club champs etc etc.
I played in 1 and a bit last couple of years.
Played one Sat comp, got to the 4th tee in a little over 1h30 and walked off, played 1 Wednesday comp some stranger joined myself and a regular playing partner and I knocked a putt in with the side of my putter head from an inch only for him to question my use of the putter and if it was a penalty stroke for not using the flat part of the blade. I have no idea if it was or not, but at that point thought to myself “what am I doing here?” I play the game for fun, I stick to the rules (or at least thought I did) but if someone is going to question my hitting the ball with a certain part of the putter from an inch, be that against the rules or not, I have no interest in that, all for the chances of winning £50 shop credit!