How many Clubs?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Usually 14, I call mine Terry (terence when he misbehaves), Dave, Joe, Paul, Ringo, John, George, Hannibal, BA, Faceman, Murdoch, Kim, Aggie and Rupert.

Was this a serious question?

Gillespie16

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
yer it was a serious question, i meant like what are they called like driver, what tyoes of irons 3 wood? like that, i was wondering coz i didnt know how many are meant to be in the bag and what type of clubs they are?

thanks for the first bit, and glad you have a sense of humour. ;)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's all a matter of preference really.

Woods go from driver (1 wood) to probably around a 9 wood, although I've never seen anything higher than a 7 in real life. Most common combinations would be driver then 1 or 2 from 3, 4, and 5.

Irons go from 1 through to 9, then wedges progressively in terms of loft from PW (pitching wedge, usually 46-48 degrees) through to a lob wedge which can be as high as 64 degrees.

For a beginner especially, the longer irons (lower numbers) can be difficult to hit consistently well, so many people replace 1, 2, or even 3 of them for hybrid (or rescue) clubs. These have a solid head like a wood, but typically have shafts only a bit longer than the long irons that they replace.

Iron sets are commonly sold now as 4-PW, or 5-PW, leaving you to sort your own higher lofted wedges and hybrid clubs to your taste.

You're allowed to carry 14 clubs for any competition round including a putter, and you have a choice of around 25!

A typical beginners bag might be...

Driver
3 wood
5 wood
3 hybrid
4 hybrid
5 iron
6 iron
7 iron
8 iron
9 iron
Pitching wedge
Gap wedge
Sand wedge
Putter

The choice is entirely up to you though. The idea is to get a bag full of clubs that you're confident with, and provide the best possible spread of yardages.

It's a minefield :D

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
How many Clubs are meant to be in your bag? and What are all the clubs called? (if possible)
Thanks

When they say 14, that's the maximum number. You can quite happily have less, and if you're a beginner it's not a bad idea to avoid the trickier clubs and start with a lot less.

A lot of people might recommend something like

3w
4h
6i
8i
pw
sw
putter

Which is plenty to be going on with.

I play off 18 ( occasionally ) and have

Driver
4w
3h
4h
5i
6i
7i
8i
9i
pw
sw
putter

So I only ever go round with 12 clubs - it's lighter for starters.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
A typical beginners bag might be...

Driver
3 wood
5 wood
3 hybrid
4 hybrid
5 iron
6 iron
7 iron
8 iron
9 iron
Pitching wedge
Gap wedge
Sand wedge
Putter

If I turn the 4h into a 4 iron, can I go back to 28 h'cap please? :)

oakey22

Head Pro
Visit site
i have just ordered a 4 iron, hit one yesterday and loved it, a really nice club to hit even off the floor. prefer it to my 4h.