How many clubs...

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Depends on the set and the bag.

1950s and earlier tend to be 2 or 3 to 8 plus SW plus putter plus 2 or 3 woods so 11 or 12
60s. 70s and 80s tend to be 3 to 9 plus PW & SW, sometimes a 2 iron plus putter plus 2 or 3 woods so 12 to 14.

If it's a carry bag then around 8 or 10.

The set below goes 2 to 8, 9 is the putter and 10 is the SW.Gradidge soles.jpgGradidge set.jpg

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Usually 14

Frequently wish I had one that's sitting in the shed, but always have one that should be able to do the job.
Can certainly carry less at this time of year without any real impact on most UK courses - when how it lands has little impact on where it ends up the benefits of club choice get seriously reduced in most situations.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
My old man almost always played with 12 until I handed him a couple of old vokeys i'd replaced, which changed his game. He never really scored from 100 yards in as he just didn't have anything at that end of his bag but now it's one of his stronger suits.

I always use 14, however may as well only carry 13 most of the time. My 3 wood doesn't get to come out the bag all that much unless i'm having a rough day with the driver and never really need that sort of yardage into the par 5's at my course.

Seems to get it's use when on other courses.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I have twelve, usually, but at the moment I carry only 5 clubs (I usually do that in winter, because I am too lazy to log my big bag around when I am not allowed to use the trolley) and admittedly I do not miss very much.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Comp/tie..full 14 , anything else is 2 to 8 depending on the mood of the day,I think 5 clubs in a pencil bag is the perfect after work number for a quick few holes and a pint when the sun comes back soon!