how low can you get your handicap if...

jamiet7682

Visit site
Interesting post, I am new to the game but already think im going to struggle for distance. Im now hitting my irons pretty well but topping out at 140 yards with my 7 iron, dont hit my driver that much further so next couple of lessons are going to focus on driving and fairway woods.

I i can get the driver to 200 yards, 3 wood to 180, 5 wood to 160 then my irons from 140 down then I will be happy.

Fabia999

Visit site
can i ask why?

I didn't start playing until i was in my 40's and have real flexibility issues and when i started as many do had distance issues, i can't remember exact distances with irons but i only hit a 5 wood 150 and driver was under 200, but managed to go from 24 to 12 pretty quickly and now off 5, i don't hit it that far but hit a 7 iron 150 ish carry, now and starting to work on my flexibilty at 55 so no reason you cant improve and increase distance

I should have possibly explained that better. Its a genetic muscle condition.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have you thought about trying those full set of hybrid irons? With a seriously low swing speed they would be a tremendous help in terms of distance and height.

D

Deleted member 1147

just work on the short game chipping will show big benifits

...and as much as short game technique is important, work on playing the right shots at the right time - course management is as important on the short game as it is the long game.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
...and as much as short game technique is important, work on playing the right shots at the right time - course management is as important on the short game as it is the long game.
sure, but most of my quick drop from 24 to 12 was because i just chipped and putted in the garden every day when starting out, i'd just retired and bugger all else to do after i played;)

Swango1980

Visit site
Outside of a weakness in distance, depends on your other skills

If you are relatively straight, and can at least get some rounds in which you can avoid complete duff shots, then it may be realistic for you to get on every green in 1 over regulation on a reasonable day? You even have more tolerance as to how offline you can be in comparison to a bigger hitter, as it would be more difficult for you to reach some of the heavy rough, trees, etc. If that is the case, and you were also a reasonable enough putter, where you could have days where you can avoid a 3 putt, then I don't see why you couldn't easily have a handicap around 18ish (depends on CR and all that, but in that region). Furthermore, there could be greens that you could potentially reach in regulation AND holes where you 1 putt, so that could help you get to a handicap of low teens easily enough.

But, I'd say to go much lower than that, as others have said, you'd need to be a demon putter and demon from 100 yards in. If that was the case, if you could at least leave yourself a short iron / pitch into green for one over regulation, along with being a good putter, you may be able to give yourself a lot of short one putts and help drive down that handicap. And, there are some golfers out there that do this. Seniors and young juniors have been mentioned. Many of them will not be able to get on greens in regulation. But, you can bet that they are at a minimum decent ball strikers, very accurate and have a great touch around and on the greens.

If, on the other hand, you suffer from a lot of duff shots during rounds and/or are very wayward, then I'd imagine you'd really struggle to get in the teens, and may be well in the 20's if not 30's (depending on how bad you suffer from these shots). So, if that was the case, trying to improve ball striking, getting confidence in that area, could really really help.

Dave1980

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know someone in their 70’s who hits the ball no further than 200 yards and plays off 3, I can remember the last time he missed a fairway and would get up and down from virtually anywhere near the green.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I know someone in their 70’s who hits the ball no further than 200 yards and plays off 3, I can remember the last time he missed a fairway and would get up and down from virtually anywhere near the green.
i play with someone the same, never been higher than 3 in 60 years and now in his 70's, plays all his comps on a course thats 6800 yards too, very annoying when you knock it 40 yards past him off the tee and he still wins the hole:cry:

sunshine

Visit site
Hey all,

Since I started playing golf I always knew that distance was going to be a problem, due to medical conditions.

I always wondered how low I can get my handicap with such short distances. Driver is about 170/180, 7 Iron is about 125.

Any other short hitters and what handicap do you play from?

Thanks.

I don't think those distances are particularly short for a woman. Not going to get you on the LPGA Tour but you should be able to reach most greens in regulation from the ladies tee.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hey all,

Since I started playing golf I always knew that distance was going to be a problem, due to medical conditions.

I always wondered how low I can get my handicap with such short distances. Driver is about 170/180, 7 Iron is about 125.

Any other short hitters and what handicap do you play from?

Thanks.
If those are the distances at this time of year there is nothing really wrong with them.

They are not that far off my winter distances, my handicap 10.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have tow single figure guys I can think of that hit a left to right fade, aren't long off the tee but from 100 yards and in will pitch and putt you to death. They may be short but they are on the short stuff which I guess is the important bit. If the OP is short and spraying then it's going to be hard. Get it straight and course manage well and then learn how to pitch chip and putt and you have the potential to knock on the door of singe figures if not lower

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You'll be fine, work on your technique with driver, you should be able to hit 250 no problem. 140 with 7 iron isn't short by any stretch.

You'll be surprised just how much distance you can gain with bettering technique. My last lesson with my pro, we both swung the driver 105mph, I was around 0-1º up, he then hit a drive 6.8º up, 1-200RPM lower spin and gained 16 yards carry on me, JUST from that.

jamiet7682

Visit site
Yeah technique is massive in getting good distances, once i realised i should be grounding my irons after the ball it added 40 yards to every iron shot almost instantly. I will be doing something fundamentaly wrong with the driver and once i identify what it is and fix it i hope to see similar improvement.
You'll be fine, work on your technique with driver, you should be able to hit 250 no problem. 140 with 7 iron isn't short by any stretch.