How long did it take for you to break 100?

Merv_swerve

Challenge Tour Pro
goo.gl
Duncan, a HUGE thank you! I took your advice today and shot my best ever of 100. I actually only used a 7 when it came to my 2nd short as I tee'd off really well today, and by using a 7 and hitting as I've recently been taught in my lessons, I had some brilliant success.

It was probably my wedges that let me down if anything, but wow, what a feeling to play some consistent and well thought out course management. Thanks!!!

Excellent.
I would agree that all people shooting 99-115 would save a bucket load of shots by concentrating on 1 thing only - course management!
Do not take a shot on that you can't hit! Simples.

Once you're under 99, my advice would be 100 yards and in or 80 yards and in. Get that area sharp and 90 will be in your sights in no time.

Good luck!

SHiiBBZ

Club Champion
Visit site
Shot my first sub 100 today! 96 on Woldingham. 39 points...playing off 28, my handicap has now dropped to 27! Haha.

really chuffed considering only been playing properly since July!

DaveL

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What helped me a lot, was playing to my handicap. On a par 4 which I had 2 extra shots on I treated it as a par 6 that way if you duff a shot it still gives you chance to recover, also helps in regards that your not trying smash the ball as hard as you can.

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What helped me a lot, was playing to my handicap. On a par 4 which I had 2 extra shots on I treated it as a par 6 that way if you duff a shot it still gives you chance to recover, also helps in regards that your not trying smash the ball as hard as you can.

Couldn't agree more. Playing sensible golf!

This is something I did at the weekend using Duncan's advice. Fortunately I drove better than normal, which meant I used no lower than a 7i for my second shot. The difference it made was incredible as I was there, or there abouts in two for the majority of holes.

Lesson this evening to focus on those 30-70yd wedge shots now! I started becoming good at the full wedge shot due to my hacking up the course, but after my round on Sunday, a little more focus needs to be put on the half and three quarter swings.

Sir Scoop-A-Lot

Head Pro
Visit site
Re: How did it take for you to break 100?

Took me about 2 months to do it the first time. Nearly 2 years to do it consistently. Broke 90 for the first time after about the 2 year mark. Currently hitting around 85 regularly.

Banzai

Medal Winner
Visit site
Re: How did it take for you to break 100?

How on earth do you hit 85 regularly and still play off 22? i.e. 72+22 =94 and in fact 85 is better than your target handicap of 18 as well, if there have been no qualifying events for a while the first "85" card you hand in should give you a massive cut!

MrBrightside

Assistant Pro
Visit site

whats help me mentally to relax is 'giving' myself par to get to the green then two putts which is a round of 108 and something I'd be happy with right now! This way, miss a green on a par 3, it's not a biggy, two chips left, plus two putts - make par and your 'up'. Make a triple/8/9 and your hopefully still roughly on target. We'll this is the plan anyway.

made 4 pars at the weekend which is a result and I feel another step.

Last edited:

SHiiBBZ

Club Champion
Visit site
whats help me mentally to relax is 'giving' myself par to get to the green then two putts which is a round of 108 and something I'd be happy with right now! This way, miss a green on a par 3, it's not a biggy, two chips left, plus two putts - make par and your 'up'. Make a triple/8/9 and your hopefully still roughly on target. We'll this is the plan anyway.

made 4 pars at the weekend which is a result and I feel another step.

Good job.

What I changed at the weekend, is I'd always play a club short. Before I'd always overhit the green on my fairway shots. Now with a club short I either land just short of the green or it's carrying onto the green.

I guess over time I'll understand which club I need and when, but for now I'd rather go short than long.

I can't see me breaking 96 for a while - it did feel like a complete fluke round - everything went in, didn't lose any balls and only one penalty on the 18th (I got tired with my drive!).

My previous rounds were 107, 111, 116 and 112 - so you can do it!

PingPlayer15

Club Champion
Visit site
The best score I have ever got was 82 on a par 72 course. I was over the moon! I have started to break 100 since the summer of 2014 when I started to get interested again. I recently shot a round of 87 at Moors Valley which I was pleased with but I hit some naf shots and I could have lowered it!

MrBrightside

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well after last weeks 113, I started out ok today no pars but was on course for a good score. Had a stinky 10 on the 14 but came in with 110 - really happy with the progress, but makes me appreciate that you have to earn a 28H/C.

not bad considering I wasn't going to get out with the weather; would play again tomorrow if the mrs would let me!

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well after last weeks 113, I started out ok today no pars but was on course for a good score. Had a stinky 10 on the 14 but came in with 110 - really happy with the progress, but makes me appreciate that you have to earn a 28H/C.

not bad considering I wasn't going to get out with the weather; would play again tomorrow if the mrs would let me!

Keep it going pal :thup:

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Good work! Get some lessons midweek of an evening if you can! Shots will come tumbling down!

MrBrightside

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good work! Get some lessons midweek of an evening if you can! Shots will come tumbling down!

Next lesson is on Tuesday, going to ask if we can have a look at woods - irons are going really well at the moment up to 160yrds.

although I can hit a 6 iron dead straight or draw, I'm getting a massive slice with the driver. If I can get off the tee it does wonders for my confidence, if I'm ob or in the trees my head goes for the next few holes. Equally I'm not really happy to take an iron off the tee as, as wild as it is the drivers forgiving with the head size and it gets it out there.

Tried all the YouTube lessons on driver....

playing again Tuesday before my lesson and the target is 105-109.

tbh, I did miss a gimme on the 110 round but I'd rather know exactly what I'm shooting!

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Next lesson is on Tuesday, going to ask if we can have a look at woods - irons are going really well at the moment up to 160yrds.

although I can hit a 6 iron dead straight or draw, I'm getting a massive slice with the driver. If I can get off the tee it does wonders for my confidence, if I'm ob or in the trees my head goes for the next few holes. Equally I'm not really happy to take an iron off the tee as, as wild as it is the drivers forgiving with the head size and it gets it out there.

Tried all the YouTube lessons on driver....

playing again Tuesday before my lesson and the target is 105-109.

tbh, I did miss a gimme on the 110 round but I'd rather know exactly what I'm shooting!

I would agree with that. I wouldn't say I lose my head for a few holes, but tee'ing off well is a huge confident booster! I had my best round ever recently of 100 and my driving and iron play was by far the best it'd ever been! Makes a huge difference.

Bert

Club Champion
Visit site
Just back in the warm the weather was horrendous for the majority if the round with high winds and lashing rain but kept going.

Shot a best score 102 though and blew up on a few holes, I left at least 10 shots out there. My best round by far off the tee which gave me the confidence, was teeing the ball lower & used nothing lower than a 5 iron and kept the ball in play.

The day I break 100 is getting closer. I am well chuffed with the result considering the weather :)

MrBrightside

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just back in the warm the weather was horrendous for the majority if the round with high winds and lashing rain but kept going.

Shot a best score 102 though and blew up on a few holes, I left at least 10 shots out there. My best round by far off the tee which gave me the confidence, was teeing the ball lower & used nothing lower than a 5 iron and kept the ball in play.

The day I break 100 is getting closer. I am well chuffed with the result considering the weather :)

Great stuff, brave playing out there today. Yesterday the wind took the ball too far on some shots and didn't move it on others. Come the dry weather I'll save a couple of couple of strokes on fat-strikes also.

well played, don't know about you guys but I'm going to be ecstatic when I break 100 lol.

Bert

Club Champion
Visit site
Great stuff, brave playing out there today. Yesterday the wind took the ball too far on some shots and didn't move it on others. Come the dry weather I'll save a couple of couple of strokes on fat-strikes also.

well played, don't know about you guys but I'm going to be ecstatic when I break 100 lol.

To me, I will become a proper golfer when I break 100 and I will be the happiest chap around.