How long “a hole is playing”

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So when someone says " it's 156 to the flag but it's uphill and into the wind so it's playing 170" they're wrong......:unsure:

They are regular comments said during bounce rounds between pp’s so I’m inclined to agree here.

I also wouldn’t count out the use of range finders with slopes either.

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
They could also simply be quoting the distance on the card (160) but getting 152 when they zap it with a rangefinder - as the pin is 8yds forward of centre. Allowance for wind etc. is often rated in terms of 'clubs' eg half, 1 2 etc.

Ahhhh, I see. Thank you. Simple when you know. I thought there was more mystique around it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ahhhh, I see. Thank you. Simple when you know. I thought there was more mystique around it.
And I agree with others that similar would apply to a downhill hole if 'zapped' with a Range Finder with slope feature - though they would likely mention that rather than simply saying 'playing'.

Springveldt

Visit site
I've always assumed that when someone says "it's playing at" they are including course conditions like wind, elevation etc.

It's not unusual for me to think "I've just zapped that at 135 but it's into wind so probably playing at least 145 so 8 instead of 9" in my head when I'm looking at a shot.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'd never thought about it before but I guess the explanation that its, the difference (if any) between the measured 'plate' on the teeing area and where the tee markers are on any given day, seems the most sensible
i.e what is the actual length of the hole that day compared to the measured course distance

Its not really a phrase I hear PP's using, just the telly folk

D

Deleted member 1147

I just assumed, based on what I read on the forum, that it's about what a caddy would say: it's 200yds, playing 3 hybrid, wedge, for you sir