How long “a hole is playing”

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
When I watch videos on YouTube (Shiels, Crossfield etc), golfers will often say a hole is 160yds but playing 152yds, for example.
What they mean by this seems obvious, but how do they know this and how do they calculate it? I’ve never heard them explain their conclusions.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
In that instance, they may mean wind direction, downhill or air temperature may make the hole play shorter. And it's pure guesswork! Or am I missing something?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
In that instance, they may mean wind direction, downhill or air temperature may make the hole play shorter. And it's pure guesswork! Or am I missing something?
They could also simply be quoting the distance on the card (160) but getting 152 when they zap it with a rangefinder - as the pin is 8yds forward of centre. Allowance for wind etc. is often rated in terms of 'clubs' eg half, 1 2 etc.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Doesn’t the slope function on a range finder adjust the difference for the slope, I’d imagine it is this. I doubt Shiels and Crossfield are adjusting accurately for the wind in their videos

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Doesn’t the slope function on a range finder adjust the difference for the slope, I’d imagine it is this. I doubt Shiels and Crossfield are adjusting accurately for the wind in their videos
I think you've nailed it. Probably just using a rangefinder with scope so it gives the true yardage and the 'playing' yardage.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I think they are mainly talking about the flag position, in this case, 8 yards nearer the tee than the middle of the green

And as Orikoru says, what their range finder calculates the playing distance to be, allowing for any change in elevation between the ball and the flag, compared to the actual distance to the flag according to the laser.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Rubbish, the slope facility on a rangefinder adjusts the actual distance of the flag, to allow for any change in elevation up or down, allowing the user to select what club needs to be hit to compensate.
I know that but you'd say something like" it's the equivalent of playing 170 yards" Simply saying it's playing 150 yards means that's how far it is to the pin

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I know that but you'd say something like" it's the equivalent of playing 170 yards" Simply saying it's playing 150 yards means that's how far it is to the pin
Can't agree....if you're saying it's 150 yards to the pin then that's the flat yardage, not taking into account elevation or wind.
If you need to hit a 170 yard club to cover that 150 yards then the hole is playing 170 yards...

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Can't agree....if you're saying it's 150 yards to the pin then that's the flat yardage, not taking into account elevation or wind.
If you need to hit a 170 yard club to cover that 150 yards then the hole is playing 170 yards...
This is what I would take it to mean.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
When people adjust their club selection because of wind or elevation change, it's normally in increments of 1, 2 or 3 clubs. I've never heard of anyone changing their club selection by 8 yards unless they know that from a pin position chart

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Luke Donald played a par-3 at a corporate event at my place. He played the same hole with several groups coming through. In between groups, someone asked him what he was hitting. He said "Well, its 190 on the card, but there is some wind against, so it is playing around 205, so I use my usual 205 club, a 4 iron".
When people adjust their club selection because of wind or elevation change, it's normally in increments of 1, 2 or 3 clubs. I've never heard of anyone changing their club selection by 8 yards unless they know that from a pin position chart
I've always thought Luke Donald was something other than 'normal'!