How high is too high

HPIMG

Visit site
Not really said my swing was pretty good and just he wanted more shaft lean and it all went downhill fast when I did the shaft lean and tried really hitting down. So second part of the lesson was to stop the shanks lol went with one problem and left with two.
Also my 7 iron is currently 155 carry and used to be 170 carry last year so something is definitely wrong but to be fair my irons are consistent just too high.

Springveldt

Visit site
Ok Mr pedant ;) But the OP is still closer to 22* than the 16-19* that Springveldt is quoting
Just because an average golfer launches it at 22º doesn't mean that's what you should be aiming for. Trackman etc have shown that an optimum ball flight is launched at roughly have your loft, so I was allowing for a few more degrees since we are weekend hackers and not tour pros. I know for me, my 7 iron is 30.5º and if I launch it higher than at 22º it just balloons on me but around 18º gives me a nicer flight.

Launching it at 27º is never going to be optimal unless you are swing a 7 iron at about 70mph, then the extra height and spin would help.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Also my 7 iron is currently 155 carry and used to be 170 carry last year so something is definitely wrong but to be fair my irons are consistent just too high.

Well a 15 yard loss does suggest issues at impact unless you're now using traditionally lofted blades :ROFLMAO:

Springveldt

Visit site
You must have a pretty quick swing to still be carrying 155 yards with that launch angle. FlightScope trajectory optimiser says you would need around 116mph ball speed and 6000 spin at that launch angle to get a 155 carry. Even then you are hitting it into orbit at 134 feet high.

HPIMG

Visit site
You must have a pretty quick swing to still be carrying 155 yards with that launch angle. FlightScope trajectory optimiser says you would need around 116mph ball speed and 6000 spin at that launch angle to get a 155 carry. Even then you are hitting it into orbit at 134 feet high.
Yes think I do had a titlist fitting today and was hitting the hybrids about 105mph but wasn’t hitting the woods or driver much faster, pro said because I was so fast with the hybrids I should notice a decent improvement with woods and driver using the speed sticks

HPIMG

Visit site
Sounds like you need to buy some new irons. (y)
I’m guessing it’s me and not the irons ? Pro said my shafts some project x in stiff would be for a lower ball flight so I must be doing something really wrong I’m thinking

Jason.H

Visit site
When I want to hit a high iron shot I focus on keeping my eyes on the back of the ball through impact. Focus on the front of the ball hits it lower.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Love it! I was actually right with AVX balls though. I struggle with anything that is not a Pro V or AVX. AVX kept my spin rates at comfortable levels and brought a high flight down for me. Since having lessons under a new coach I’m contemplating going back to pro v as my flight is potentially getting too low now.
Forget the height, how are your scores?

HPIMG

Visit site
Just back from a lesson, pro got it from 26 degrees down to 22 pretty fast with the odd one under 20 said it wasn’t fixed but I now what what I’m doing wrong. 1st was I was leaving my body behind and mostly all arm. 2. Was I was leaning back swaying too much and not getting through the ball right. So he’s gave me 2 thinks to work on and I’ll go back end of next week.

DixieKim

Visit site
I have been thinking for a while now I might be hitting my irons too high. I am planning to go to the range tomorrow just to see the numbers. Is there some sort of chart I can look at for what all my irons should be launching at and also what would be considered a high launch number and a low launch number ?
Here are some general guidelines for launch angles based on club type:

Driver: 10-14 degrees
3-wood: 13-17 degrees
5-wood: 16-19 degrees
3-iron: 18-22 degrees
4-iron: 20-24 degrees
5-iron: 22-26 degrees
6-iron: 24-28 degrees
7-iron: 26-30 degrees
8-iron: 28-32 degrees
9-iron: 30-34 degrees
Pitching wedge: 32-36 degrees
Sand wedge: 54-58 degrees
As for what is considered a high or low launch angle, it can vary depending on the golfer's personal preferences and the course conditions. However, as a general guideline, a launch angle between 10-14 degrees for the driver is considered optimal for maximum distance, while a launch angle above 15 degrees may result in too much spin and a loss of distance. For irons, a launch angle between 20-30 degrees is considered normal, with higher launch angles typically resulting in higher ball flights and lower launch angles resulting in lower ball flights.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

As for what is considered a high or low launch angle, it can vary depending on the golfer's personal preferences and the course conditions. However, as a general guideline, a launch angle between 10-14 degrees for the driver is considered optimal for maximum distance, while a launch angle above 15 degrees may result in too much spin and a loss of distance. For irons, a launch angle between 20-30 degrees is considered normal, with higher launch angles typically resulting in higher ball flights and lower launch angles resulting in lower ball flights.

Might need you to reference some articles for that.....

Springveldt

Visit site

Yeah, this is completely wrong. You might be mixing up launch angle and dynamic loft?