How healthy is golf?

RichA

Visit site
Surely more dependent on the lifestyle of the golfer than the golf itself.
Can't see how it could possibly obtain sensible results.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I track calories etc on My Fitness Pal, and I'm always amazed at how many calories it reckons you burn. For three hours of golf (pushing clubs, not carrying) it says 1000 calories burned.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I track calories etc on My Fitness Pal, and I'm always amazed at how many calories it reckons you burn. For three hours of golf (pushing clubs, not carrying) it says 1000 calories burned.

LOL really??! I did 60km on my bike yesterday at an average of 30kmh with 500M of elevation, and Garmin reckons i burnt 1100 calories....

I think either Garmin or MFP is well off!!

RichA

Visit site
I'm sure I'll be corrected, but I remember reading that, unless it's particularly intense, exercise doesn't burn as many calories as you'd think. Any exercise is good, but most of those calories are used up by your body just maintaining itself. A good night's sleep burns 500. 4 hours watching golf from the sofa burns about 500 too. At least when I'm asleep or sitting in the house I'm not smoking.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
LOL really??! I did 60km on my bike yesterday at an average of 30kmh with 500M of elevation, and Garmin reckons i burnt 1100 calories....

I think either Garmin or MFP is well off!!
I know, it seems way high to me. For a 90 minute football match it said 1200 calories burned. I'd have guessed like 1000 for the football and maybe 500 for the golf, personally. But obviously it's an estimate that I don't think takes into account the user's weight, height, etc.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is golf healthy? Well, since 29th March the only thing that has changed about my lifestyle is that I play golf 3-4 times per week. I've shed 4.5 lbs despite eating and drinking exactly as I did veforegand.

D-S

Visit site
Excuse the very unscientific language, but Isn’t burning calories just the power needed to a certain weight (you) a certain distance? So the difference between taking 15 stone 6 miles running versus walking/golf is just time. Obviously there are cardio vascular benefits from doing it at a faster rate but in pure calorie terms it is the same thing but because we are shattered after running for 6 miles, despite the fact that it has only taken us an hour to do not 4 hours, we think we have burned more calories. A small caveat, I really have no proper understanding of this.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site

That's because you walk further than the rest of us to all different sides of the fairway :ROFLMAO::LOL: Or you're not running very far on the football pitch!

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Health is much more than physical exercise, time in the fresh air, time with mates, etc are just as important for all round good health. If you play golf whilst smoking like a chimney, have a pie at the halfway hut, and then 5 pints and a bowl of chips afterwards I would suggest maybe not too healthy ?
Also, for those tracking calories whilst golfing, I suspect you would burn at least half of those if you sat on your sofa for 3-4 hours

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Same course, different playing partners, very different distances walked.

One was myself off 14, and a pair off 24 and 28.

The other, myself and a pair both off 8.

I'll leave you to guess which is which!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210426_175459_com.garmin.android.apps.connectmobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20210426_175459_com.garmin.android.apps.connectmobile.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20210426_175422_com.garmin.android.apps.connectmobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20210426_175422_com.garmin.android.apps.connectmobile.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 18
D

Deleted member 16999

I’ve just manually entered my round yesterday to compare MFP to Garmin, using a Elec trolley, MFP gave me 1226, Garmin gave me 736.
Big difference, so not sure how MFP works it out as both have my same stats.