How far do you hit your PW?

sunshine

Visit site
I'd be very surprised if the majority of amateur players hit their Pw the same height as a 4iron. I dont even think it's close.

The flatter trajectory of a long iron makes it look a lot lower, whereas the steep climb of a wedge makes it look higher. If a player can't get any height from a 4 iron they should be using a hybrid.

My guess is that I hit 5 iron and upwards the same height, but 3 and 4 have a marginally lower apex height when hitting off the fairway.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's not so much about what other people hit, it is more about conning the less informed into buying new clubs that are in essence no better than their current set, just numbered differently.

I guess you could argue that the uninformed are there to be mugged off, as that is their purpose in life.

I have only just started to see the marketing element in this. People stopped buying 4 irons so manufacturers were losing out on selling that club. Solution, make the 5 iron a 4 iron then add a gap wedge. You are buying the same set just branded differently.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have only just started to see the marketing element in this. People stopped buying 4 irons so manufacturers were losing out on selling that club. Solution, make the 5 iron a 4 iron then add a gap wedge. You are buying the same set just branded differently.
Spot on I can’t remember the last time I seen a pp with a 3/4 iron.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is that just GI clubs or does it include “players irons”?
from what I’ve looked at they tend to have a 4i
Most sets still have a four iron.
But at my club a four iron is in the garage of most members and they now have a hybrid.
The only players with long irons are single figure guys.
On most websites you have a choice of 4,5 or 6i to PW.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Most sets still have a four iron.
But at my club a four iron is in the garage of most members and they now have a hybrid.
The only players with long irons are single figure guys.
On most websites you have a choice of 4,5 or 6i to PW.

Or hackers like me who just enjoy the thrill (rare though it is!) of a well struck long iron.

Diamond

Visit site
To the original question probably about 90 yards but if caught thin 120+...
My 9 Iron can be anything between 100 - 120 yards. According to my Garmin I can hit my 8 Iron and 7 Iron 135 yards and the average is further than my 6 iron. As for my 5 Hybrid it can be anything from 5 yards to 170 yards...this game is crazy!!

D

Deleted member 1147

So, having looked back at the answers to the original question, it would appear that the average distance for a pw is just about 100-115 yds.
The longest tend to be late 130’s.
And those hitting it furthest are using the most lofted wedges, 46/47 degrees.
So this suggests pw’s aren’t being hit too far as a result of too low lifts.

D

Deleted member 1147

a fair bit i live in the north of Scotland and play links golf, but even if i didn't i would still have a 4 iron
I play a clay based parkland course and carry a 4 iron, and am contemplating a 2, 3 or driving iron.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So, having looked back at the answers to the original question, it would appear that the average distance for a pw is just about 100-115 yds.
The longest tend to be late 130’s.
And those hitting it furthest are using the most lofted wedges, 46/47 degrees.
So this suggests pw’s aren’t being hit too far as a result of too low lifts.
Yes .i would say the better players have the more traditional lofted clubs .
So I would expect them to hit it farther anyway.
It’s all depends how you strike the ball
I hit my wedges hands forward so less height,one of my pps hits it much higher than me with less loft.
At the end it’s about control .