How far do you hit your PW?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The R&A and the USGA have been far too slow to react to club developments and the horse has already bolted on that one, but that's a whole other thread and I'm not getting involved!
Correct me if I am wrong , years ago when I was learning the game my teacher always told me it was the pros that had stronger lofts.
That’s why even then they hit it a long way.
But agree about ruling bodies.

D

Deleted member 15344

I said that you'd defend it in the first post......
I’m not “defending” anything

You have a personal issue with lofts on clubs - it’s an issue doesn’t bother me in the slightest and has no affect on me , what loft and number is for me irrelevent- the only thing that is relevant is how far each club goes. Don’t care if my 7 iron only goes 150 whilst someone’s 9 iron goes 150 - what difference does it make at the end of the day , it’s about getting the ball in the hole in the least amount of shots , which club is used in regards which loft is irrelevant surely ?

Is a par with a driver 7 iron different than a par with a diver and a strong loft 9 iron ?

So what really is the big issue about it all that seems to upset a few

Blimey it just a game of fun for 99% of us

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My PW (46 degrees) goes 100 yards give or take a yard or so either way. I can see how these super jacked clubs can cause gaping issues and so surely the sensible thing to do is hit some in store or on a launch monitor somewhere and see what distance it goes, especially the bottom end and work out where the wedges would fit in. Sadly Titleist are already suggesting two extra wedges at 43 and 49 degrees which would still leave 9 degrees to my SW and so a need for another wedge on top. I am not a fan of these jacked lofts and so would shy away as far as possible

D

Deleted member 1147

If you hit your PW a long way I can understand the need for lots of wedges.
But if you only hit it 100 yds you don’t need more than 2 wedges extra.
A 52 and 58 should cover every distance under 100 yds, whilst providing lob and bunker capability.

D

Deleted member 15344

Correct me if I am wrong , years ago when I was learning the game my teacher always told me it was the pros that had stronger lofts.
That’s why even then they hit it a long way.
But agree about ruling bodies.

The heart beat of the game is us club pro’s - why on earth would the governing bodies want to impose any restrictions on club development when at the heart of that development is trying to make the game more appealing and the clubs easier for us all to hit - what exactly would imposing restrictions achieve ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you hit your PW a long way I can understand the need for lots of wedges.
But if you only hit it 100 yds you don’t need more than 2 wedges extra.
A 52 and 58 should cover every distance under 100 yds, whilst providing lob and bunker capability.
I agree but I am questioning whether the extra loft (8 degrees difference between this and my PW) would send the ball further. That then creates a bigger gap between PW and 52 degree and would need another wedge. I know my currently goes 85 yard or so and my SW goes 70 so I've a pretty solid 15 yard gap. I can't see how stronger lofts are going to give this

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I’m not “defending” anything

You have a personal issue with lofts on clubs - it’s an issue doesn’t bother me in the slightest and has no affect on me , what loft and number is for me irrelevent- the only thing that is relevant is how far each club goes. Don’t care if my 7 iron only goes 150 whilst someone’s 9 iron goes 150 - what difference does it make at the end of the day , it’s about getting the ball in the hole in the least amount of shots , which club is used in regards which loft is irrelevant surely ?

Is a par with a driver 7 iron different than a par with a diver and a strong loft 9 iron ?

So what really is the big issue about it all that seems to upset a few

Blimey it just a game of fun for 99% of us

One of your usual "repeat what I've already said" posts in the belief that this strengthens your argument?

If it's an issue that doesn't bother you, why are you making so many posts about it?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The heart beat of the game is us club pro’s - why on earth would the governing bodies want to impose any restrictions on club development when at the heart of that development is trying to make the game more appealing and the clubs easier for us all to hit - what exactly would imposing restrictions achieve ?

I'm not a club Pro and I wasn't aware that you or most of us here were.
The governing bodies have a responsibility to protect the fundamentals. principles, call it what you will, of the game.
If they allow the manufacturers, who are in it for profit and let's not try and pretend otherwise, to run away with it the game will be destroyed before you can say Jack Robinson.
Restrictions are imposed to keep courses playable, at least that's the intention, without restrictions we'd be overpowering courses left right and centre.
Clubs have been made easier to hit but I'd argue that all that has done is made golfers lazier and produced swings that are of lesser quality than they were, swing however you like and let the tech cover up any errors.
Who can be arsed to practice these days, the club does it all for me doesn't it?

D

Deleted member 15344

One of your usual "repeat what I've already said" posts in the belief that this strengthens your argument?

If it's an issue that doesn't bother you, why are you making so many posts about it?
You were the one that called me out in the first post and now you don’t like it ?
I'm not a club Pro and I wasn't aware that you or most of us here were.
The governing bodies have a responsibility to protect the fundamentals. principles, call it what you will, of the game.
If they allow the manufacturers, who are in it for profit and let's not try and pretend otherwise, to run away with it the game will be destroyed before you can say Jack Robinson.
Restrictions are imposed to keep courses playable, at least that's the intention, without restrictions we'd be overpowering courses left right and centre.
Clubs have been made easier to hit but I'd argue that all that has done is made golfers lazier and produced swings that are of lesser quality than they were, swing however you like and let the tech cover up any errors.
Who can be arsed to practice these days, the club does it all for me doesn't it?
It was supposed to be “club golfers “

Principles ? Fundamentals of the game ? What are they - are they written down somewhere ?

How on Earth will the game be “destroyed”

Yes clubs are being made easier to hit - helps bring New people into the game and without those new people the game will just disappear- and if the clubs are easier to hit why isn’t the average handicap coming down ?

Swing of lesser quality - what’s that supposed to mean ? Again the idea is to get the ball in the hole - there is no “perfect “ way. People just want to go out and play the game and enjoy themselves and at times do well

The accusations towards golf struggling is that at times it shows itself to be snobbish , boring and stuck in the past - imagine that ?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Surely we should be looking at dynamic loft, not physical loft. It might say, for example, 40* but by putting more weight in the sole, lowering the CoG, the ball will launch higher.

The tolerance for the same launch angle might be between 40* and 48* depending on where the CoG is in the club.

Flipping the argument on its head, stick with a 48* physical loft on a modern, low CoG, wedge which launches higher, and it will end up coming up short. Just because it says 40* doesn't necessarily mean it will go longer...

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I hit about 115-120 with my Callaway XR PW which has a 44° loft. That was 2° stronger than the loft on my old Mizuno MX900 PW.
People say does it matter but as others have said it means you then it pushes you towards buying more wedges for the shorter distances.
When I bought my Callaway XR irons I only got a 5 to PW as the 4i was 20.5° which takes you into Hybrid/Fairway wood territory.
In golf at the moment, Distance seems to be God.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I hit my pw 138, it's a titleist cb so pretty much a blade. Think its 47 degrees as I still play the 714 model. I can hammer it and carry it close to 150, but 138 is a normal 85/90% swing I use with lower irons/wedges

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
114 plus 1-2 yards roll on a normal surface. To have a 38° PW just points out the fact that we need the industry to move from numbers to lofts as they are basically just lying to the consumer over distance gains. I’d far rather be convinced that a 23° club is much more easier to hit that there version 5years ago than be tricked into believing a 5iron is a 9.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If someone can now hit an easier launching 6iron the same distance as a muscle back 3 or 4 iron with a shaft an inch and a half shorter, what is the big problem?

I'm pretty sure some smart fitter could put together a brilliantly blended set out of all those new titleist models that could convince me to drop and hybrid or two. Haha

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I'm 155yds out under normal weather conditions I'll grab my 7 iron, because that's the club, in my current set, that gives me the distance I'm after.

If I used another set I wouldn't give a toss what number is on the club that gives me 155yds.
It could be a 3, 8, 6, whatever, I couldn't give a stuff ...................... I just need to know what number equates to the distance I'm after.
Hitting it that distance however, now that's a completely different world of pain!