How efficient are your Council/Committee/Group running your Club?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
First of all being on the above is a thankless task with around 600 head greenkeepers/Handicap secretaries/ bar stewards/ Finance Directors chipping in constantly.

At out Club it consists of both Captains and Vice plus around 4 volunteers and a well paid Secretary /Manager.

There are monthly Minutes published but invariably nothing/very little action gets done and it becomes frustrating watching them kick the can down the road with very little action.

How efficient is your Club and how receptive are they to fresh ideas?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No matter how efficient we clearly have very few who think they can do better.

AGM tonight
Only one person put themself forward for a vacancy for the board and only 2 people put themselves forward for vacancies on the committee.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The best run club that I know of had a management committee of 5 members [inc an all powerful chairman/woman]
The green committee consisted of course manager, and two management committee members.
Captain and vice were social positions and not part of the management.
In the 5 years I was at the club there was no changes to the management committee [maybe one due to health reasons.

sunshine

Visit site
If the club is run by well meaning amateurs it will not be efficient. It needs to be run by full time dedicated professionals. The committee should provide oversight and governance.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If the club is run by well meaning amateurs it will not be efficient. It needs to be run by full time dedicated professionals. The committee should provide oversight and governance.
Very valid comment. However probably >95% could afford that luxury. Hence invariably we have people who go on Committees as it is an ego trip and the majority do not have the requisite skills, expertise to drive The Club forward.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Very valid comment. However probably >95% could afford that luxury. Hence invariably we have people who go on Committees as it is an ego trip and the majority do not have the requisite skills, expertise to drive The Club forward.

That is an extremely jaundiced view. Far from it being an ego trip, I wouldn't mind betting that most clubs struggle to get volunteers to come forward and the vast majority of members just want to get on with the business of enjoying playing golf.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Through the years most of our volunteer Directors have run their own businesses.

The Captains committee is not responsible for matters of finance.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is a very good question.
I'm in my 3 rd year now as Greens Director having done 3 years on Committee previoulsy and it most certainly is not the case an ego trip with the hours I clock up ?.
Our Head Green Keeper is retiring after 33 years and 47 total so the process of finding his replacement is well under way, so hopefully my hours will reduce as he is not computer minded so lot of my time is spent on ensuring all the H&S is up todate.
As a Board we are looking at a GM in the near future but will have to find in the region of £40-£50K in the budget first, but we are on course to return a healthy profit this year

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ours is pretty good to be honest.
They all run their own businesses and are very professional.
They are all very approachable and will listen to your ideas.
We have a paid course manager.
But I don’t envy them the amount of trivial complaints by some members.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most courses is full of members willing to critisize the management of the club and coutrse, but very few are willing to actually put themselves forward to do anything about it.
I would never bemoan the committee or the direction of the course. I don't have the time to put myself forward so how can I comment on them.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Most courses is full of members willing to critisize the management of the club and coutrse, but very few are willing to actually put themselves forward to do anything about it.
I would never bemoan the committee or the direction of the course. I don't have the time to put myself forward so how can I comment on them.

Surely you would if the course was a tip?