How easy is it to put you off?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
So you're standing over a 95yrd shot and I say slightly too loud to the 3rd player in our group "He's crap from this distance, wedge play is his weakness", your ears prick up....

has my attempt to undermine your next shot worked? :p

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The opposite. I'm looking to put egg on your face.... assuming I've heard you. More often than not I rarely hear background noise.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm usually concentrating so hard that I wouldn't notice a bomb going off. One of my golfing friends is just the opposite, getting put off by players talking on an adjacent hole several hundred yards away!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
So you're standing over a 95yrd shot and I say slightly too loud to the 3rd player in our group "He's crap from this distance, wedge play is his weakness", your ears prick up....

Nope.
But standing on the 6th and saying something like "I've never played with anybody who has been 1 under on this tee before" would do it.
Especially if it's the tee of one of the easiest par 5's you'll ever play....:mad:
I'd most probably take an 8 up there and go from being 1 under to 2 over in one foul swoop
:mad:

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
this issue is like comic timing - it's really hard to do it well and in the manner that it would put me off; if I suspect it's deliberate it will, as outlined by hobbit, have the opposite effect.

innocent comments such as this, and that raised by smiffy, will however kill me - definitely the weakest part of my game overall (along with a lack of tolerance for slow play)

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Nope...as I've just promised myself to nail it so I can see the look on your face. I have played in a 4-ball for last few years where a lot of backchat takes place, so I'm used to it.
I use it as motivation.

cleanstrike

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Yes! It probably would and it's also quite likely that my very loud cough or sneeze just when you're at the top of your backswing on your very next shot after that would put you off as well. One good turn deserves another, eh!

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was up the range last night and two guys up the top bays would not shut up. Pratling on about drivers and yardages, and football. It was getting on my nipple ends. Then the guy in the next bays driver was pinging so loud I thought my right ear was going to pop. So yeah I hear the grass growing and I get put off. If anyone says any comment about my game though, I tend to zone out. Make a fart noise and I'll fold in to a deck chair laughing.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Totally depends on the context ..

Mates having a knock around , id prob stop laugh and say your bang on so no pressure on me now , ta

Im sure your too much of a gentleman to do it otherwise James ..

Hard to get into my head to be honest , we had it in an inter club 4 somes match one day , myself and my mate just laughed among ourselves & ignored him ..

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it was a match between mates, I'd step away, laugh and call you some choice names.

If it was in a proper match, I'd step away, look at them and laugh whilst shaking my head.

fripnchips

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Having played football most my life i learned very quickly to drown out others as had no end of dads shouting 'advice' and obscenities from the side lines. So its generally only deliberate attempts to putt me off that effect me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
They may even have a point with my wedge game. However as long as I got it on the green, two putted and got off to the next tee that'll do me. It's about the sum for eighteen holes and I wouldn't rise to the bait