How does mood affect your game ?

RoyPalmer

Medal Winner
www.play-better-golf.com
Would you be in a mood after watching Spurs :D

I think the same is true when we say we're really 'fired up'. How many times do you see a football team who say this then go on to perform like puddings!

Sneds

Tour Rookie
Visit site
To be fair, how many of us remember our moods before a round? If something is bothering me that much, I usually won't be out on the course.

I might be in a good or bad mood dependent on how I play, but not really sure before it. I once received some bad news on the course regarding a member of my family. I still parred the next three holes.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Went out in a couldn't care less mood today. Hadn't practiced all week (no really!) and was 2nd reserve for the medal. Got a call late last night to say I was in. An hour on the practice ground found nothing of any help so was relaxed and not bothered. Played great for 14 holes and then had a earth shatteringly bad finish

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
To be fair, how many of us remember our moods before a round? If something is bothering me that much, I usually won't be out on the course.

I might be in a good or bad mood dependent on how I play, but not really sure before it. I once received some bad news on the course regarding a member of my family. I still parred the next three holes.

Oh I know.

I don't play as much golf as I'd like. So I normally get excited like a big fat bald kid on the walk down to the first tee.

:D

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I think the question should be " how does golf affect my mood?" :D

I know the answer to that one. :)

That one's easy.

I was trying to be more fillie-soffical :p

You know me - I'm a deep thinker I am. :cool:

About 6' under most days.

Braindead, some might say. :eek:

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok Clive I'll try and give you a proper answer.

A couple of monthe ago it wouldnt have mattered whether I was in a good/bad/indifferent mood , I was just playing awful golf , which didnt make life very comfortable.

Then I decided to just have a very lighthearted and fillie soffikal outlook to the game (mood if you like). Now I love playing again and if I hit bad shots I shrug them off and get on with it.

So these days I always have a relaxed 'mood' before starting which in turn gives me a relaxed 'mood' when finishing.

Its all good

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Definitely affected me on course yesterday. I thre a double in on the 15th from nowhere and was a bit steamed on the 16th. Of course the swing was too quick and duck hooked it OB and made double (parred with the relaod). Fuming I hit a hige slice on the 17th. 2nd into the bunker (on a par 3) and took 5 goes to get it out. A chip and 1 putt for a 9. Suffice to say I didn't take too much time on pre-shot routines on the 18th and hooked it left for another double. 12 over for the last 4 holes and still finished only +6 nett.

I need to take a slower walk between holes when I've had a bad one and find a way to forget about it. I can do it in matchplay where you know that hole has gone no matter what you shoot but can't seem to let it go in stroke or stableford

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
When you were 2up with 3 to play you didn't seem to be in a bad mood..... coming off the last after losing the last 3 holes seemed to affect you though :D

Sorry 'bout that ;) LOL

Might be playing this Sunday... you up for it?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I need to take a slower walk between holes when I've had a bad one and find a way to forget about it. I can do it in matchplay where you know that hole has gone no matter what you shoot but can't seem to let it go in stroke or stableford

When you need to calm down, take a deep breath when standing on the line behind the ball and don't move to the ball until you've finished it. Then walk really slowly to the ball. It will set the tempo for your swing.

Try it, then call me crazy if it doesn't work, but it works for me. :)

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
When you were 2up with 3 to play you didn't seem to be in a bad mood..... coming off the last after losing the last 3 holes seemed to affect you though :D

Sorry 'bout that ;) LOL

Might be playing this Sunday... you up for it?

:p

Can't do weekend golf atm - SWMBO and all that.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think Bob Rotella talks about 'instant amnesia' or 'releasing a bad play' so perhaps the slow walk or deep breath helps with this process.

The slow motion walk is in Parent's book, Zen Golf.

I've tried it and it really does work. It's almost impossible to get 'too quick' after you've walked to the ball so deliberately.