How does mood affect your game ?

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Two consecutive rounds :

1) Scored 88. Drove the ball well, hit a lot of good shots, but with the odd total duff thrown in. Putted poorly

2) Scored 93. Drove badly ( Huge slice ), hit a lot of sliced irons, with several ( but not loads of ) total duffs. But chipped and putted a lot better. Had two snowmen on the card.

I enjoyed both rounds.

The banter was great, I lost both rounds, the first by a much larger margin than the second.

I don't play anything like enough golf, so I always enjoy getting out there.

BUT.

I felt I was playing so badly during the second round it definately affected my mood. I was annoyed with myself. I felt I wasn't doing myself justice. My game had gone to pot and I couldn't work out what I was doing so wrong.

There was very little in the two rounds in terms of score.

There was a huge difference in the rounds in terms of my attitude.

I've only had one other round this year feeling so bad about it. And that was when I was playing Homer and HTL at their place. Again, the company and the banter were great. I played poorly, but not suicidally badly. But I walked off feeling I'd let myself down, and them, for not giving them a decent game.

I know I'm not cut out for the mental demands of really competitive golf. I can't raise my game on a whim. I can easily lose a game when I'm 2 up with 3 to play.

But that doesn't affect my mood. It's just my perception of letting myself, and others down.

And not having a clue what I'm doing wrong, I suppose.

Maybe that's it.

Maybe in the first round the swing was under control, and the putting ( which feels like it's easily fixable ) was wrong.

But in the second round, I had no control, and no idea, what I was doing out there.

Not quite sure where I'm going with this, it was meant to be a discussion on how we can use our mood to control at least our enjoyment of the game, if not our ability to actually play well.

What do you think?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If I am happy I play better golf. If I am a misery guts I play badly. However, if I am playing well, I am happy, and playing bably makes me miserable. Hmm, what is needed is a way of thinking happy thoughts, when it is all going wrong.

I have tried to do this, and in general it works, but every time I think I have developed a more balanced mental outlook, I have one of those days when everything frustrates the heck out of me. On these days I am lucky to finish with a full set of clubs.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
A lot. I cannot play golf at all if I have something on my mind (work, family etc). Some of my best and most relaxed rounds are on Friday nights when I am unwinding for the weekend. Saturdays should be the same really but being on the committee an hour of our members griping and moaning before I go out is often enough to wind me up again !!

B

birdieman

Mood definitely affects golf.

If I am thinking about work issues, it's raining, there is a 3 group hold up ahead and I've played too much golf of late I can get fed up very quickly and game does suffer. Guess focus just isn't there.

If I haven't played for a while, the sun is out and the pace of play is decent I'll generally play better.

Yesterday I was nursing a sore shoulder but made a decent fist of it, got a birdie on 15 to get to +3, next hole I thinned a feeble nine iron and bogeyed, 17th par 3 I hit a good tee shot but didn't factor in the tail wind and ran up another bogey, up last missed a birdie putt by millimetres to miss my buffer by one shot.

Was not a happy camper leaving 18! Just felt like 3.5 hours of hard graft was wasted to miss target by one. Putter was very cold which is really frustrating.

Seems like on my home course I play solely as a challenge to score, not to enjoy playing golf itself which is all wrong I know.
If I play a new course however I actually enjoy just playing golf, score not so important. Need to play more new courses, Castle Stuart has been it this year. :D

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Almost totally dependant on mood.

A tetchy mood seems to heighten other senses so you can hear someone jingling change in their pocket 2 holes away. Or see someone move 3 fairways over on your downswing.

If other things are on our minds it gives us a raft of excuses to use to blame for poor play.

Can't ever recall posting a good score whilst in a bad mood, but then being at a golf course playing golf normally improves my mood right from the off anyway.

The_LHC

Head Pro
Visit site
Some interesting replies there about not being able to play if you're in a bad mood. I play golf in order to put myself in a good mood! Just getting out there cheers me up. Mind you I don't really play matches, I don't care if I win or lose and I don't give a stuff about my handicap, so from that point of view I've got nothing to worry about!

I've also managed to develop short term memory loss when on the course to the extent that by the time I've got to my next shot I'd have to think quite hard to remember the shot I've just played, so I never have any emotion carrying over from the previous shot, which helps no end. By the time I've sat down with a drink afterwards I can review every shot however.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can't ever recall posting a good score whilst in a bad mood, but then being at a golf course playing golf normally improves my mood right from the off anyway.

:) Yes, that's about it.

BROOKIE

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I can remember Sam Torrance speaking about "being in the zone",once on tv and wandered what he meant,and it must be
fantastic to feel that way,but if Ive had a bad day,or theres something on my mind I cant hit a ball correctly,no
matter what.Like most people on this forum I love to play
golf,win or lose I enjoy it just the same.But nothing puts
you in a better mood than playing well,and winning

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Definitely agree about mood affecting the game which is why I don't take much stock in any evening rounds after work. However I'm very much a cnfidence players so if I am hitting well and feel confident I tend to play much better than if I've come off a bad round or poor range session.

I use to get really angry if I played badly but am trying to just feel frustration and disappointment rather than anything too negative and accept that at my standard the bad will always outweight the good. The secret is to enjoy the latter as much as you can when they come around

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I am happy I play better golf. If I am a misery guts I play badly. However, if I am playing well, I am happy, and playing bably makes me miserable. Hmm, what is needed is a way of thinking happy thoughts, when it is all going wrong.

I have tried to do this, and in general it works, but every time I think I have developed a more balanced mental outlook, I have one of those days when everything frustrates the heck out of me. On these days I am lucky to finish with a full set of clubs.

You need to watch Happy Gilmore again Murph ;)
Think happy thoughts!!!!!
Wish the ball into the hole :D :D

RoyPalmer

Medal Winner
www.play-better-golf.com
Hi everyone, this is my first post. Seeing that every pathway from your brain find its way to a muscle eventually then how you're feeling will definitely affect your game. I firmly believe that moods such as anger, stress or frustration lead to tight muscles and therefore you're not going to move so well or be as sensitive to what you're doing. The opposite is when you get into The Zone and then suddenly everything's so much easier and you feel more in control. :cool:

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com
I don't think that my mood affects my golf much, my concentration is definately the main factor in my scoring ability.
When i'm focused i can play as well as i can but i lose focus and get distracted too easily. I play most of my golf with mates and spend too much time talking about anything and everything to have any concentration left for the shot i'm trying to play.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Hi everyone, this is my first post. Seeing that every pathway from your brain find its way to a muscle eventually then how you're feeling will definitely affect your game. I firmly believe that moods such as anger, stress or frustration lead to tight muscles and therefore you're not going to move so well or be as sensitive to what you're doing. The opposite is when you get into The Zone and then suddenly everything's so much easier and you feel more in control. :cool:

I agree, but that's reactive rather than being proactive.

I started both rounds in similar moods. I played to similar standards. So why did my mood dip so badly in one round rather than the other?

And what realistically can be done to control it? I don't believe in saying things like 'keep positive'. That's like telling someone with depression to 'cheer up'.

PS

Welcome. :)

RoyPalmer

Medal Winner
www.play-better-golf.com

There could be any number of reasons why our moods can change suddenly - Im sure most of us have experience a sudden surge of optimism for now apparent reason (or the other way around). It could have been a subconscious reaction to something that didnt register at a conscious level that brought about a change?

I agree that 'cheer up' or 'pull yourself together' don't help. What works for me (well at least 70% of the time) is to 'get into the moment' using some pretty straight forward techniques such as being aware of my breathing, the ground underneath or even my toes in my socks. Yes I know they sound a bit wacky but they really help to get you into the moment and can change your current state of mind and hence your game. In the past I would have got frustrated, tried harder and only succeeded in getting worse!

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Nah. I'm generally quite safe on here. (famous last words!)

I think she deliberately sabotages my games sometimes. Particularly when I need to get to the club for a tee time, the kids are playing up ...............etc.

Trying to play the first hole, with a shed load of guilt doesn't boad well for a good start.

I've would have missed three weeks golf by next weekend. So I'm hoping for an easy Sat morning next week.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Im generally pretty strong mentally and can overcome most things that happen whilst on the course.

However if I am in a steaming mood before play I struggle, its the same with golf, when I am playing football or when I am playing competitive pool. If I am in a bad mood I lose 30% of my performance I would imagine.