How do you tee up your fairway wood?

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
5 wood in my case but same principle holds for 3 wood I’d guess.

I hit 5 wood well off a good fairway lie. I therefore try and replicate that condition from the tee box i.e. a very low peg (broken wooden pushed all the way in) replicating fairway situation.

But I top so many. Maybe trying to hit too hard? I just wonder if a better strategy is to play it like a driver. Ball further up in stance, slightly higher tee, and hit on the up rather than at the bottom of swing. I’ve tried it, with varying results, but just wondering what the perceived wisdom of the forum is.

Driver is a work in progress (20 years and counting) so this is a common shot I need to improve.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hit FW wood well off the deck so when I use it off the tee (frequently as driver is currently all over the place) I often just hit it off the grass, find a nice lie and away we go

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Similar to the OP, broken tee peg leaving the ball clear of the ground but not raised by far, ie for a driver. 3 woods, certainly mine, don't tend to have a big face and if I teed it up like a driver I think the chances of dodgy strikes would be far greater.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't like teeing anything particularly high except driver. I used to use the small non-barrel tees so I could have the 5 wood a fraction higher than the 7. Then as we were playing off mats I went to castle tees as the other tees wouldn't go in - I tried the 5 wood off the red castles but even that was too high as it causes me to hit unwanted hooks for some reason. So now everything that isn't driver I just tee it off the green castle tees (the lowest one). I find I strike it better off them. And if you do want it a mm or two higher you can just not push it into the ground quite as firmly.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I use a white castle for my driver.
From the tee with my 3-wood I use a plain tee to a height a bit less than a red castle. Hybrids similar, but slightly lower.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A lot depends on the height of your club face...it also depends on how steep or shallow your swing is...
Deeper faces need a slightly higher tee, shallower ones , obviously, need lower.
My 4 w gets teed up about a cm above ground, 7w, if imuse it, about half that, hybrid is about half again.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
3 wood, same as driver, about half a ball showing above the face. Played forward in stance. Off the ground from fairways then ball is played further back in stance. Rescue, just barely touching the grass when played off a tee.

Last edited:

RichA

Visit site
If I want to slice it into the trees on the right, no tee.
If I want to hook it into the trees on the left, teed up a millimetre or 2 above the ground.
If it want to hit the ball straight up in the air, run forward 10 yards and catch it, teed up 3mm or more.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I dont like deep faced fairway woods, so if hitting off a tee then I will tee the ball up maybe 3/8ths of an inch, just so it is smack bang centre of the club face as I address it.

I couldnt begin to tell you what that is in terms of the equivalent castle tee. :D

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I dont like deep faced fairway woods, so if hitting off a tee then I will tee the ball up maybe 3/8ths of an inch, just so it is smack bang centre of the club face as I address it.

I couldnt begin to tell you what that is in terms of the equivalent castle tee. :D
3/8 of inch or 0.375 of an inch is about 9.5mm. That must be about the same height as me for my 3-wood.

I think the red castle is 12mm and the titchy green or orange ones are 6mm. Don't think there is a 9mm one.

You are right to ignore the castles, there isn't one to suit you. I don't use the little castles either apart from on par threes winter mat tees.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
3/8 of inch or 0.375 of an inch is about 9.5mm. That must be about the same height as me for my 3-wood.

I think the red castle is 12mm and the titchy green or orange ones are 6mm. Don't think there is a 9mm one.

You are right to ignore the castles, there isn't one to suit you. I don't use the little castles either apart from on par threes winter mat tees.
There is - a green one not quite pushed all the way in. 😄

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I experimented with a higher tee (still lower than a red castle), slightly up in stance yesterday with great results. I think my (Ping G400) 5 would qualify as a shallow face so need to guard against teeing too high but so far so good. Higher flight and less than prefect strikes seemed to be punished less.

The experiment continues…

Springveldt

Visit site
Green castle tee, same for my irons.

My new 3 wood has a taller face so I'm thinking about trying a red castle tee with it.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Depends on the type of shot I want to hit. It can be anything from off the deck to quite high.

I don’t often hit a wood (other than driver).