How do you set expectation when playing..... or lower it?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
As I put in a recent thread, after a pretty poor couple of seasons I've embarked on a set of lessons with a new coach to try and get my game back on track. It's a bit brutal at the moment, a big grip change, whilst also working on posture and swing plane. But, in the two weeks I've been working on this I've been hitting 300 - 400 balls a week in practice and seen some big improvements on the range, and some changes on the course.

I played 18 yesterday at a course I hadn't played before, and based on the last few range session, was quite happy to think that I was going to play better. Alas no! After opening par, double, bogey, I then proceeded to double bogey the next 4 holes, with another couple on the back nine, mostly made up of chunked shots. I know this is a result of the posture/ swing changes, my pro told me in the lesson on Saturday why I was doing it. But as the round went on, I started to sink back into my malady. My 18 year old son, just said "too much expectation dad". Have had a look at a couple of articles this morning on setting expectation, but they mostly just say don't count your score, just enjoy the round. It sounds simple, but doesn't really help me figure out what my expectations should be, if any. If I'm striping the ball better and straighter on the range than I have ever been, should I expect to play better on the course? This got me wondering, how do you set your expectation? And how do you lower it if it is maybe too high?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
some days you do some you don't that's golf.

There are days i can play like a decent golfer, the next like it was the first time you ever picked up a club

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My expectations go from shot to shot.
1st hole - I know the tee shot I want to hit. If I hit it right then my expectations are higher for the next shot. If I manage to pull that one off then expectations rise again.....
If I don't hit the tee shot I want then expectations get downgraded appropriately depending on how much crap I've left myself in.
I never have an expectation for a round because, as someone's tag line says, the only shot you can influence is the next one.
It's also important to realise that we are handicap golfers and we are going to make a Horlicks of a hole sooner or later
Accept it - move on.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I still fall into the trap of thinking that if I'm hitting it well on the range, I'm in for a good round. There have been times I'm chopping it at the range in my warm up before I head out and then I play well. Sometimes I'm nailing everything at the range and go out and play garbage. Sometimes I don't have time to warm up, head out, and play well. In the end I've accepted that whatever happens on the range does not always translate and you should use that time just to warm up and getting into a good rhythm.

Range work is not golf, I'm really only learning that now, it's fine to keep the swing going but if you want to play good golf the best way to practice is to play golf. Your expectation should be based on how well you've been playing golf! And even that isn't very helpful. Like this answer :p

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I suppose my expectations are to shoot something either side of my handicap. A good day it will be - x, and on a bad day it will be + y. If its +++y I'm disappointed but not suicidal. Its only a game, no one dies, governments don't fall. Nowt to get het up about, and next door's cat is safe.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I play my best golf when I have absolutely no expectations.

I would also point out that in your post you reference scores and swing changes - scoring and ball striking are very different beasts.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

I would also point out that in your post you reference scores and swing changes - scoring and ball striking are very different beasts.

The mention of scores was in reference to articles that I was reading on how to set expectation. With the lessons and work I've been putting in, I am hitting the ball better at the range, by which I mean a lot straighter. I kind of hoped that it would transfer into a proper round, which it definitely didn't. Maybe my expectation was too high. What I'm still struggling to understand though, is how you set an expectation on a round of golf?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I never set any expectations except when playing on a course I have never played before and then I expect to drop a few shots on the putting alone and a couple for not knowing the best line for drives.

I keep thinking about putting a notice on the handle bars of my buggy which says 'no expectations'.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Striping the ball on the range is all well and good but you will miss greens and it how you deal with that will determine how well you score.

Keep it in play off the tee. Hit greens in reg or within 10 yards of the green with the approch. Get up and down half the time u will be in and around the 70s if that it what u are after.

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Totally agree
Go out with expectations of a decent score, normally means I fail miserably.
Relax and have the only expectation of enjoying the time on the course normally sees a better round for me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm another that can let a great range session or warm up lead me to have higher expectations than perhaps I should. I always try and score the best I can but I can usually tell after a couple of holes how I'm hitting it and so can work out if I need to reassess and simply find a way to get it round or if I'm playing well to perhaps be more direct and positive. Sometimes you have to accept it's not going to be a good day and not get too hung up. The more you get stressed or try harder the worse it will get.