How do you handle when you are struggling with a Club

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So had a round today where my Driver was just going terrible, i was topping it, hooking it or skying it... and when I did get good contact it was wayward. I gave up using it after 12 holes and just hit my 3 wood instead. I have a lesson tomorrow so will be taking it along with me for some professional help (which I certainly need!)

What do you guys do when you're not hitting a club well?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Everyone should have a go-to club for occasions when everything is going pear shape. Whether it's 3 hybrid, 5 iron or whatever, it will give you time to clear the head.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Depends how shot the card is. If there's still a chance of a decent score I'll drop back to a 'go to' club, e.g. a 3 wood or driving iron if the driver is playing up and maybe a 'bump and run' 8 iron if the wedge is off.

However, if the card is already a train wreck I'll continue with the misbehaving club but actually look at working on tempo and swing, e.g. a 3/4 punt with the driver, looking to hit it as straight as possible but not bothered chasing length.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So had a round today where my Driver was just going terrible, i was topping it, hooking it or skying it... and when I did get good contact it was wayward. I gave up using it after 12 holes and just hit my 3 wood instead. I have a lesson tomorrow so will be taking it along with me for some professional help (which I certainly need!)

What do you guys do when you're not hitting a club well?

Usually get a lesson if the problem persists. On the course I'd try and swing within myself and find a way to get it round as best as possible

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Playing ballyliffin when the boys were over from England. Brand new driver and shaft in hand I proceeded to hook the first and slice the reload on the first. Slice off 2. Hook off 3.

Driver benched for the day. Hit my 3 wood for the rest of the round...

Played well until I lost my discipline on 17. Reached for the driver and hooked it into the cabbage for my first lost ball of the day. Made birdie with my provisional ball to save bogey.

It has taken some time to work out when to call it a day with the driver or flog a dead horse.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Usually get a lesson if the problem persists. On the course I'd try and swing within myself and find a way to get it round as best as possible

What do you mean by swing within yourself? Like you try to work out in your head what you're doing wrong and keep trying to use the club through the round?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a spell last year of the driver working until around the 12th hole at which point it went pear shaped. For the first few weeks I kept going, trying to work through it. After the 4th week I went to 3 wood straight away and did that for the rest of the round. I lost a little distance but gained in accuracy and had no more 3 off the tees.

I occasionally have issues with my hybrids. I give them 3 goes and if they feel awful then I will not use them again for the rest of the round. Again, taking the hit on distance versus accuracy.

Some days certain clubs, rarely irons to be fair, just feel wrong and I'm getting better at benching them quickly rather than wasting 3-4 holes.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Depends on the club.

For instance, I'm really struggling to hit my hybrid, no idea why, I'm sure it's because the shaft is too light, but I will avoid using it unless absolutely necessary whilst playing around (for instance, I will completely avoid it, and plan to avoid it, but if I hit a Par 3 where I need it, I use it)

I will then practice with it on the range until I'm happy.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Work out if there is any reason as to why the club would not suit me (closed/open face at address, wrong shaft weight/flex/length etc) however I hope not as I have bought it and if there is not I will take it to the range as soon as. 15 mins there is usually enough to sort out a minor swing issue or set up/ball position - which it usually is.

I tend to find when clubs go wrong, which haven't been wrong before it is a minor error that has crept in without me noticing

Digger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Generally, when one club goes wrong, they all go wrong. If I'm spannering a driver, then the same swing will spanner a 3 wood, so I just grind it out. Usually a thought around slowing everything down brings things back to a level where I can limp around.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
In the context of the original question posed the driver is the one exception to my approach.

Generally if a club is miss behaving I remove all of its near rivals from the bag and use it mercilessly until it works again :D make friends with it. For example if the 4 iron plays up remove all fairway woods, hybrids, 5 and 6 iron from the bag for a couple of weeks.

For the PW, remove 9 iron, GW and even SW...

The drivers different. The reasons you select a driver, the expectations you have and the swing you put on it (both as a result of the above and because of the appropriate set up differences) are all specific to the one club.