How do you decide if the clubs you have are wrong for you.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ok lads, im after advice and seeing all sorts of new sets out isnt helping.

Since 2006 ive been using taylor made super steel burners with the stiff bubble shafts and have played some cracking golf, but ive always been around 1 iron short on my iron play compared with mates who cant touch me with any woods. with this in mind i hit a few friends clubs,

X18, X20 and diablo's as well as a set of cobra's and a set of newer TM's. All felt about the same distance but i noticed that they all felt more consistant.

If i hit 10 7irons with mine they would all be around the 140-150 marker, but i was more inconsistant with their 3/4/5i's. After trying a few 5i's from playing partners i noticed the newer irons seems to be more forgiving with a bad shot. If i miss hit my 5i i would be 150 yards (compared with a good 5i at about 175-180) All of the other irons i tried all seemed to be about the same distance but was more consistant, so when the 09 burners come out i knew i wanted them and like always waited for the set to come up at the right price.

Since then i feel i have played some of my worse golf in a long while, but have also had my 2 lowest scores ever with a 10 over and a 9 over at 2 different courses.

I know im not swinging my best which is why i have another lesson booked for tonight, and my pro was always saying " the supersteels are a decent iron dont change them" but im seriously at the point where my 15 round old burners are looking at going back into storage and my old sticks coming back out.

My question is how do you make that decision that the clubs you have are just wrong for you? or do you just assure yourself your swing isnt clicking that day/week?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I can't see why they wouldn't work for you. In theory, you should be able to hit any set of irons and make them work. They can't be that different.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
only thing i can see thats different is the last set was stiff graphite, new set are regular steel. Ironically i opted for steel for more control.