How do the shots work out for the am's at Pebble Beach Pro Am

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Ok, maybe I am being a bit dim. But anyone know how the shots are allocated at the Pebble Beach Pro Am ? I am finding it difficult to grasp how you get to -31 on a Championship course, when the Pro you are partnered with misses the cut. Is this just a bandit fest ?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The pro in the winning group (Jim Renner) was Tied 2nd at 10 under so didn't miss the cut. I think the Am shots are allocated as you would expect, but it does mean the Am was 21 under Nett for the 4 rounds, which seems a lot, so maybe as you say, it's a bandit fest.

Last edited:

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I was thinking of the interim leaders, Sabbatini and his partner, I think they got to -31 then faded (ran out of shots......). Does seem very good scoring though. I also found a link online (and I know you shouldn't believe everything online..) where in a previous year, the winning am had been as low as 1.4, but rocked up at Pebble with a handicap of 9.4..........there was a stewards.......

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I didn't actually see any of it, but I thought it was betterball rather than cumulative, so an amateur wouldn't necessarily have to be -21 to bring his/her pro's -10 to -31?

D

Deleted member 15717

Both scores from pro and amateur count on the holes. The cut is also on the Saturday, once every group has played the 3 courses...which would explain why they were able to hold the lead for so long, and then faded away