How did you end up with your current driver ?

How do you choose your new driver?

• Trackman session to determine best shaft/head

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Buy whatever is cheap until the next shiny one

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Try out multiple clubs on the range and pick the best

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Pro Shop advice

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Tried a 910 D3 on a whim. Loved it. Rip stiff shaft. Fantastic.

Then had a few off days with it. Decided it was a bit light (it is).

Tried fundys motore shaft. Liked it, bought one. Nice, but a tad heavy (75 gram version). Good on a good day, murder on a bad one.

Borrowed a diamana ahina stiff from a mate. Dead shaft. Boardy is an understatement. This shaft should not work, at all. Way too stiff. But, guess what, nailing it.

Now on their day, I can hit any of these just fine.

I have previously been c/f for drivers, bought blind off eBay, off the rack, whatever. In my view, given enough time, you can hit anything.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had been thinking about an ajustable driver for ages. But was not prepared to pay the price. Anyway some time down the line. Found the R9 for £90 so got it. Did not bother with a fitting, as I am standard loft ,lie, etc.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Always got on well with Callaways so tried the HyperX as it was going cheap. Hit it well on the range and liked the look and sound. Didn't try any others. Been a greet club and very happy with it.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I used to have the Ping G2 until I cracked the face

DSCI0079.jpg

I sent it back to Ping and they sent me a G5.
It goes fairly straight and have even nudged it over 300 yds a couple of times this year :)
Have I mentioned Thetford recently? ;)

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the new adjustable heads and exchangeable shafts make this process of testing much much easier, even to the point that people can change the playability of their driver very quickly just by swapping out a shaft, as murph mentioned above.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
a bit of most really

I wanted to get rid of a draw driver and a tendency for a really low flight. went on the vector thingy at AG and those nice people said that if I bought the latest glossy TM it would cure all my ills. after hearing the price I made my excuses and went to DG.
the nice people there said my ills were nothing to do with the club, they were all down to me. but I still wanted a new toy so I got my current driver at a reduced price as it was an older model and got a lesson thrown in. subsequently got a cf shaft fitted - and no all my ills aren't cured, though I don't slice (often).

wull

Tour Rookie
Visit site
as usual i tend to buy my gear from ebay so it's cheap shiny one until the next one.

but i have done a trackman session to determine a shaft upgrade so thats a step in the right direction i suppose.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Did a range fitting for a Ping G15 when I started out on big course. Was a 9* with a regular Serrano because I was hitting the ball high and liked the flight of it. Tried a few others but because I was taking lessons my pro kept putting me off changing.
Then one day about 2 months ago I was standing in the shop and just lifted out my current driver and saw it was 9.5* and regular and asked the pro what he thought. He said try it on the range. Loved it and took it onto the course for a try with the pro for 6 holes. Got a lovely flight and shape and about 20 extra yards and he said now that's a driver worth buying. It was brand new and I paid £90 because was old stock from his other shop. Got £80 for my G15 which meant it only cost me £10 to change.
Going for a Titleist C/F session in February at Carton House because I want new shinies before my 3rd child arrives and I want to see can I get anything better suited to my swing. I feel that I can hit my 3 wood with a more natural speed and tempo with the PX5.5 shaft (Firm) but need to swing slow (slower than feels natural) with regular flex driver shaft. My swing speed on a local retailers Vector was approx 83,84,85 mph with my irons so not sure about driver but don't think it's fast enough for stiff but possibly another PX 5.5 or similar will. But either way £45 will be worth it for peace of mind.

T

thecraw

There should be an option for, try out loads then get a trackman fitting!

I spent a lot of time last winter trying numerous drivers before settling on the 910, I then went for a fitting and come out with whats in my sig!

tmorrissyswan

Club Champion
Visit site
Had my yonex nanospeed 3i recommended by the pro. sliced it relentlessly for 2-3 weeks then one day it clicked and I absolutely love it.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Used my mates during a round and spanked it miles. Bought the same and upgraded the shaft to make it go even further.

I am a believer in using the club on a course during a round so that you use it in the heat of battle. Nothing like picking out a spot in the distance while trying to ignore all the hazards that could ruin your drive. I just can't visualise trouble well enough on the range as there are no actual consequences for getting it wrong. Load up and hit it again - you don't lose any shots as you would durning a round.