How did you end up with your current driver ?

How do you choose your new driver?

• Trackman session to determine best shaft/head

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Buy whatever is cheap until the next shiny one

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Try out multiple clubs on the range and pick the best

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Pro Shop advice

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was having a conversation today with another guy at work about custom fit. I had a trackman session last year and ended up with a new driver to try and lower my ball flight and get a bit more roll. Since then things have improved but still always on the look out for something to get a more penetrating flight. He on the other hand simply buys whatever club he fancies, or which ever is cheap, and goes from one to another every 6 months. I was saying that custom fit is probably a better solution to him wasting money with each new trade in and purchase, but he seems quite happy with the situation.

Anyway just wanted to see how many people go for custom fit and how many decide based on a driving range session.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why is there no option for "browsing ebay one morning and found it going cheap because they had badly worded the advert"... I had to vote for the range one because thats how I picked my previous driver... And can you guess whch one works best for me?

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well if you see the bag in my garage you will see all the nice cheap bargains I have that worked for only 2 months ... I think my mental strength is staying away from ebay ..... unfortunately I now have 4 pairs of golf shoes, so it looks like I just transferred the purchases to some other equipment :)

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had a 909 which took some damage in battle :eek: went to the shop and asked for a 910 told him what shaft I had in the old one that I liked.

P.S. If you take the quote tags off your signature it will look the same as the rest.

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
None of the above, like Imurg tried my mates and bought the same, its a bit old and dated now but is the only one that seemed to continue to work over the last two years.
I have tried a few others without success but I'm continually being tempted to test the R11 or 910D3.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Both drivers in my golfing life supplied by pro/coach after trying on the range with him advising. First was a Ping Rhapsody with Ladies Soft Regular Shaft and 14 degree loft. As my swing developed a change was required so now have a G15 with Mens Soft Regular and 12 degree loft. Very happy with it :)

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Tried down the range as well as a Titleist 910. Hit my 1 further so brought it. Now wish I had tried the R11 as I'm hitting everything with mine left!

HotDogAssassin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ping G2 Driver, kindly given to me by a very good friend just before he emigrated to Australia a week ago. Once I have my Pro lessons I'll find out if it's any good for me and if I need to budget for a new one next year.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
A few hours on the range at Direct Golf worked for me. Tried most clubs there in different lofts and shafts and the Mizuno just worked. It gave me the distance, ball flight and consistancy that I was looking for.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a new Ping G10 with 9 degree shaft and stiff shaft, just wasn't working and I was using 3 wood off the tee !! Was in pro shop and spotted a G10 second hand with regular shaft and 10.5 degrees. He taped it up and I had it in my bag for a couple of weeks. Worked well, straighter longer and much better all round.
I bought it and sold my old one to used ping.
Hardly scientific but at least I tried it out on the course first.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Never had a fitting or even a trial of any kind.

When I came back to golf after a long lay off I started with my old McGregor persimmon (Argos off the shelf)but a few guys said I ought to try one of the new bigger headed clubs. Resisted for a while then bought a Dunlop Titanium from Sports Direct, got on okay with this for a year or so but the face to crown join cracked so I had to get a better quality club.
Mizuno seemed a respectable name and the MP-001 was in my price band on ebay so I bought one of those with a stiff shaft about three or four years ago, still using it.