Hovering the driver

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was having a bad day at the range with the driver so did some experimenting. I hit half a dozen good drives on the spin by hovering the club and then stopped on a high.

It obviously made a difference but dont know why.

I was pulling/hooking a bit before I made this change. I doubt I will continue with it but any ideas?

Do you hover the club at address?

golfinger

Hacker
Visit site
It's amazing how a change can sometimes improve things even if it's not what you would consider to be the "right way".

Often when I am struggling with putting I find that a simple (or major) change to my grip or stance can produce fantastic results.

I think when you have been playing for a while a swing process can become so subconcious that you start to think about the wrong things, and a change can refocus you on the job in hand.

As with most changes ("I've cracked it this time") once the process becomes ingrained, the inner demons will start kicking your ass again.

I'm not suggesting a hover isn't correct, merely that it probably distracted you from whatever was hindering your regular action.

Redwood

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've heard some people say that it promotes a smoother takeway, whereas I think the theory is that if you start off on the deck some people can get the tendency to snatch it back a bit on the inside, which may have been casuing your pull\hook?

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm sticking with it until it breaks. I went out for 9 or so holes after work and couldnt putt for s*** but my tee shots were pretty good.

It just seems easier to get nice rhythm. I waggle the club, lower it into position behind the ball, then pull the trigger whilst just off the ground still. I think its helping that the club doesnt start back from a dead still position its always in motion.

Watching the pros on the box earlier they seem to limber up but as soon as the club is set behind the ball, it starts back.

Perhaps I've been too deliberate, taken too much time and too static over the ball. This is helpful albeit its early days!