Hollingbury Golf club

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

Hi all

Due to play at this course (near Brighton) on Thursday. Google offers up very limited info on the place.....anyone have real life experience?

Ta

Adam

_MH_

Visit site
I played there for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Bear in mind I'm no golf course connoisseur/critic and that I'm a high handicapper.

I think it's council owned and run by a third party firm. Pretty cheap to play. Quite a few dog walkers and the like wandering around. There was at least one green with what looked like a BBQ scorch on it though. And I did get my first hole-in-one on an uphill par 3 - but in a random hole in the green, not the official hole.

That probably paints a pretty horrid picture but it was an interesting course that is well worth a go and I enjoyed playing. Great views as you would expect. Can get a bit windy up at the top. Interesting elevation changes and twists and turns. Fairways in pretty good condition - the chalk helps them drain well I believe. Rough was quite long grass with some large bushes. At the bar afterwards I discovered I had left a pitching wedge by the side of a green and considering the number of walkers on the course, all but kissed it goodbye - but then the pro walked in saying he found it on the 16th - Result.

Sorry, that's all I can give you. I'd play there again no problem, particularly for the price.

D

Deleted member 18121

cheers dude, much appreciated..... probably a stupid question, but is it quite hilly? I'm considering carrying.

D

Deleted member 18121

Played today in a 40 strong society day and have very mixed feelings about the place, some are in the club's control and some aspects are not.

The staff are great, the club house and food are fantastic value and good quality. I could not fault them.

The course on the face of it is a good test. Hardly a flat lie or an even bounce can be found.... But that's a GOOD thing, I feel like I can play a bit off 13 but I found it a really good challenge. But there are some bad points.

There were no tee markers on the tees, so we had no idea where to tee off from.

Finding each hole was a challenge are the sign posting is poor.

The bunkers are very poor, mostly with no rakes and because of that are full of foot prints and stones and basically look like a cat's litter tray.

Now the rough.... Most of it was knee to waist height and not far off the fairway. If you do not hit and stay on the fairway your ball will be lost. Simple answer - hit the fairway. Unfortunately it's not that simple as it's so undulating that a good shot can be badly punished but the ball running the entire width of the fairway and disappearing. The rough needs to be more manageable.

There are a lot of blind tee shots and no bells. This makes play dangerous and slow.

The greens are undulating and I really enjoyed them, just don't forget to play them like links should be played.... This isn't a parkland course.

But my final and biggest issue is the dog walkers. They are like a plague from the 1st to 18th holes.... They are so obnoxious and arrogant it's unreal. They simply do not give a hoot that they're walking on a golf course and will not stop crossing fairways or walking up the holes you're playing or talking/shouting at their mutts whilst you're playing. They seem oblivious to the fact that they could get hurt and don't care that their dogs are fighting on the green as you have 4 people trying to play into them. They even seem to find it funny to let their dogs run around you whilst you play....... Now, I've had dogs all my life so I am not a dog hater, but these people are on another planet. So be aware.

Would I go back? Yeah, because I love a challenge and there are a lot of good points. But the negatives are big ones.