Holes restricted to irons off the tee

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not unusual, people buy houses next to a golf course them complain about golf balls. Dornoch had to move the fairway on the 3rd, hole had been there 250 years before the houses. we had to change the 1st hole on our 9 hole again had been there 100 years before the houses that bought land from the club, then made the club change the hole from.a par 4 to a par 3.

Alas the law is always on their side. . He's threatened legal action several times. The club has offered to put netting up along the boundary which none of the other houses want, so they keep him in.line. how long that will last is another matter

He will argue he doesn’t want the view of the course obstructed by a nett and win the argument in court. The only way around this is for the club to develop the houses personally and put a clause in the contract of sale that in the even of the above happening , safety netting would be the only option.

We almost lost our 15th as a new owner wanted the hole closed. Lucky enough 5 years ago it was extended from a p4 to p5 and as there had never been issues is reverted back.

However, we’ve had lots of newbie boys and more are now laying up bringing his garden more into play. I reckon it will go back to a p5 next year. He also appealed the offer of netting and won.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't imagine that could ever be allowed in a competition. For a long time my longest iron in the bag was a 7, whereas others may have a 2 iron in there. Completely nonsensical rule.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Not unusual, people buy houses next to a golf course them complain about golf balls. Dornoch had to move the fairway on the 3rd, hole had been there 250 years before the houses. we had to change the 1st hole on our 9 hole again had been there 100 years before the houses that bought land from the club, then made the club change the hole from.a par 4 to a par 3.

Alas the law is always on their side.

When nairn sold the land next to the practice ground, all the houses but one were purchased by members except one there's complaints about balls in his garden. He's threatened legal action several times. The club has offered to put netting up along the boundary which none of the other houses want, so they keep him in.line. how long that will last is another matter

it’s amazing because if you play at scarborough, the 18 is proper sketchy as its right next to a street with no protection whatsoever.

Albo

Visit site
My course has this rule on the first, you’re not allowed to tee off with a club that will intentionally go past the bunkers, ours is a v short par 4, 270ish so it’s an easy 7i wedge.
The reason is houses on the right of the fairway, apparently there have been numerous balls in their gardens, once again houses built long after the course was there.
That said I wouldn’t want to be the one who hits driver and catches a wild slice hitting a kid or something, so rules is rules.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My course has this rule on the first, you’re not allowed to tee off with a club that will intentionally go past the bunkers, ours is a v short par 4, 270ish so it’s an easy 7i wedge.
The reason is houses on the right of the fairway, apparently there have been numerous balls in their gardens, once again houses built long after the course was there.
That said I wouldn’t want to be the one who hits driver and catches a wild slice hitting a kid or something, so rules is rules.
Could a power shank reach the houses?