Hoebridge Golf Centre

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I learnt to play there and haven’t been back in over 20 years... an honest to goodness pay and play, nothing too remarkable. Also my memory is based on being a beginner... SpongeBobs comment is about a decent down hill par 3, followed by a blind drive over a rise to a green set in a hill. (About 7th?) I bet the hole is much shorter than I remember too. The hole before that par 3 is a tight dogleg right too....I guess the trees will have grown considerably now.... if in decent condition it’ll be fun

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
OOh there is a memory.

I used to play it almost every other week but that was over 30 years ago so I doubt if the information I could tell you would be relevant to todays course.

All I can say is that the course was good enough to get me to play it that often, I was just glad that I could play week days because the weekend rounds used to be horrendously long because it was so popular (so I was told).

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Pleasant enough P&P. Not played it for a very long time, but remember it pretty well. It (well, the 9-hole) was my first 'real' golf experience - and the memory was quite pleasant, especially of a very scenic par 3 in the evening sunshine!

There are some rather good holes and a few 'interesting' ones - I'd not call 17 'daft' but can understand why some folk might - the Tee shot needs to end up down the left otherwise the 2nd is purely 'recovery'! There are certainly a couple of others that could qualify as a bit barmy, but overall, it's a good 'test'.

Quite hilly after the first few holes!

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played it twice this year in NAPGC competitions. Fairways were scorched back in August but apart from that the course was in great nick and they have a superb clubhouse and set up there. You should really enjoy the course and views from some of the high points of the course.

You probably wont like the 17th very much though, its a blind hole with a brutal walk up hill , aim plenty right off the tee and take 1-2 clubs less than you think. Anything slightly left will run all the way down to the clag and anything a bit long wont leave you with a shot.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I've played it tonnes of times.

1st - par 5. It dog legs a little at the bunkers. Straight forward hole. No real danger
2nd - par 3. Nothing you can't see from the tee that will bother you.
3rd - par 5. Play to the right as it is a continual dog leg left so you would be blocked by the trees on the left-hand side.
4th - par 4. Plays longer than its yardage as it is uphill all the way.
5th - par 4. Play to the furthest left on the fairway as you can get. Otherwise you will be blocked out by two very tall trees
6th - par 3. Downhill par 3. I quite like this hole
7th - par 4. The fairway levels out at the top of the hill before dropping drastically before the green. A solid 3 wood will give you an 8 or 9 iron in.
8th - par 4. Plays longer than the yardage suggests. It's a straight hole with a two tier green (back of green is higher than front).
9th - par 5. Play left if you want to be able to go for the green in two.
10th - play left to get the best angle in
11th - you can either bomb it off the tee for a short iron in or play to the top of the hill to have a flat stance. Trust the guidance marker on this hole. Don't go too far right.
12th - straightforward par 3
13th - narrow fairway but opens up for your second shot
14th - I'd recommend taking an iron off the tee short of the fairway bunkers. You can then hit a full iron shot in. Being middle or left fairway is the play here
15th - Long par 4. Never liked this hole. Get all your yardage off the tee to have a change of hitting this GIR
16th - stupid par 3. I think it's something like 200 yards and the green is elevated by about 30 feet. Don't go too long, trees about 10 feet beyond green
17th - play a 3 wood to the end of the fairway. It will give you a flat lie. Then just hit an iron through the gap to give yourself an iron or wedge to the green
18th - boring par 3 to finish

Expect the course to be busy.
Driving range facilities are good. Balls were always a bit naff.
Putting facilities are fine