Hitting the ground before the ball

iku

Head Pro
Visit site
Sorry I've already posted this somewhere else in the forum but got completely ignored so I hope I have better luck here.

I've noticed that my biggest problem on full swings is hitting the ground before the ball. Practicing at the range doesn't highlight this problem as the mats are more forgiving but on the course the result of this mistake is really terrible.

Last weekend I played some of my worst golf and was taking massive divots before the ball duffing the ball 40 yds, when I was trying to correct this I often ended up topping the ball.

Is there any advice/drill I should go for?

Sundance

Medal Winner
Visit site
I am no pro so take this with a pinch of salt but I always thought this was due to 'looking for the ball before you've hit it' i.e. you are lifting you head and looking for the ball down the fairway before you've even struck it. My suggestions would be to keep your eye on the ball and let your right shoulder bring your head up on the follow through. Im sure someone will be along shortly to correct me.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you move your weight onto your right foot (RH player) and then keep it there and rotate around your spine you will hit the ground first.

Try either turning rather than weight shifting or try and "press" up against an imaginary umbrella stuck in the ground next to you left leg.

Both those will help you get back to the ball first rather than the ground.

iku

Head Pro
Visit site
19thHole and Sundance are probably right. I remember my pro pointing out at that problem in the past.

Re Murph point, I think it's more that I don't shift the weight correctly onto my left leg during the swing so my followthru is not great.

A pro once told me to put a coin before the ball and ensure that the coin is still there after the swing. It works fine to see if I'm doing the same mistake at the range but it doesn't really fix it.