Hitting the ball twice in one shot

coley167

Medal Winner
Visit site
I had a bit of a debate with our trainee pro today regarding an incident that occurred involving one of his playing partners today. His PP was putting and somehow managed to hit the ball twice in making a stroke.
He advised me that his playing partner had applied a 2 shot penalty to his score. I queried this as I was under the impression that hitting the ball twice just counted at 2 shots.
We checked the rule book and then the R&A decisions book but for some reason our interpretation of the decision was different.

The rule in question is:
14-4 - Striking the Ball More Than Once
If a player’s club strikes the ball more than once in the course of a stroke, the player must count the stroke and add a penalty stroke, making two strokes in all.

There were 2 interpretations of this. My question is:
You've hit your tee shot on a par 3. You then stand over your ball to play your second shot. As you make you stroke you manage to hit the ball twice. The ball goes in the hole. The debate is would you have holed out for 3 or 4 shots?

We both had a very strong view that our interpretation is correct. Can a rules guru please clarify.

I'd appreciate your help. I was going to query with the R&A but was hoping someone could confirm on here without having to bother them

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I had a bit of a debate with our trainee pro today regarding an incident that occurred involving one of his playing partners today. His PP was putting and somehow managed to hit the ball twice in making a stroke.
He advised me that his playing partner had applied a 2 shot penalty to his score. I queried this as I was under the impression that hitting the ball twice just counted at 2 shots.
We checked the rule book and then the R&A decisions book but for some reason our interpretation of the decision was different.

The rule in question is:
14-4 - Striking the Ball More Than Once
If a player’s club strikes the ball more than once in the course of a stroke, the player must count the stroke and add a penalty stroke, making two strokes in all.

There were 2 interpretations of this. My question is:
You've hit your tee shot on a par 3. You then stand over your ball to play your second shot. As you make you stroke you manage to hit the ball twice. The ball goes in the hole. The debate is would you have holed out for 3 or 4 shots?

We both had a very strong view that our interpretation is correct. Can a rules guru please clarify.

I'd appreciate your help. I was going to query with the R&A but was hoping someone could confirm on here without having to bother them

For me its as it clearly states in 14-4, your initially shot is counted and then another penalty shot for the double hit, so in relation to your par 3, your drive was 1 shot, you then double hit the putting stoke so its a 3.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have done this a few times myself! Particularly on hot summer days when courses are rock hard and chipping can be a bit capricious. Always applied a one stroke penalty for such an instance.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As already said, it's a 3. I don't understand how anyone can think otherwise having read the rule.

1 for the stroke and the second hit is a penalty, not a stroke.

If I remember right, it used to be 2 penalty strokes for the double hit but they changed it a few years ago.

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Unless you hit it three or four times, then only the first two count. (I've done it :eek:)

Edit: Too slow again.

I'm intrigued now Crow, how does that happen? I've had to call double hits on myself a few times trying to get out of bunkers or duffing a flop shot, but how do you get to three?