Hitting slighlty on the heel

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok, so I took Direct Golf up on their free club health check a couple of months back and they had a look at my Mizuno MX950's. Stuck some tape on the bottom and let me hit a few...

The results came back that when I make impact with the ball the heel is down a little, instead of being flat. This happened with both 5 and 7 iron. They said that for £2 a club they could turn it up a degree or two so I hit flat on impact, I thought it may be a con so didn't take him up on the offer.

Now my mate has just brought some mx-200's, regular shaft and had a little custom fit. He was hitting the ball in the same place so had the club taken up a degree or two and is now hitting straight shots.

I'm wondering if it is worth me taking them and getting them looked at.

Has any one else had this done? Does it take much time to get used to it and do you gain/lose any distance? :D

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had it done as part of a custom fitting session so mine are 2 degrees flat.

I don't think it's a con. if the heel hits the ground first there's a chance that the head will twist and pull your shots left. Whether that's happening to you or not and if it will make you hit straighter obviously I can't answer.

Maybe worth having one club done to see if it does make a difference, even if you buy a cheap second hand one off ebay to experiment with?

BeachGolfer

Head Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't hesitate having the club lies set correctly.

Too upright (which sounds to be your case) will result in shots going left. Generally, more upright lie angles promote higher ball flights, flattening a couple of degrees should lower ball trajectory a little.