Hitting out the bottom of the driver

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I had trouble with this when I first switched to my G25 driver, maybe the shorter shaft compared to my RBZ took some getting to grips with but I then decided to try slightly higher tee and hey presto... Sweet spot Central.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you are creating a low initial ball flight that eventually rises then falls then you are creating too much spin with your driver and hitting down with it. Try teeing up higher (Orange castle tee) ,have the ball level with your left heel and tilt your upper body slightly to the right. In your downswing keep the body tilt and leave slightly more weight on your back foot, have the sensation of hitting up slightly as you sweep the ball away to a full finish.

Hope this helps.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Alex... did you ever fix this...
I put some impact tape on my driver and every shot was bottom of the club.... even the good ones

Ball position and tee height is the key.

Just got an M1 and getting it sorted on the range I was catching it out the bottom of the club. I moved it slightly forward, got a good shoulder slant and set the tee to the correct height and hey presto, in 10 mins it was all sorted.

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
I was doing this for a couple of weeks, but today I tried something else which seemed to have worked for me.

Old setup with driver was to have the ball opposite left heel and at address tilt my spine slightly away from the ball. Today, I set up again with the ball opposite my left heel, but rather than actively tilt my spine I bumped my hips a little towards the target to create some spine tilt which felt more natural than before consciously tilting my spine away. Think I got all but one out of the middle and was straighter and longer than I've been for a few weeks.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Alex... did you ever fix this...
I put some impact tape on my driver and every shot was bottom of the club.... even the good ones

Wow, I don't remember this at all so I guess I did in the main. I have days when I have that low(strike and flight) one but with the current driver it's as long as the high toe end, high flight one as it's such a low spin driver that it will just make up the lack of carry with additional roll.

Not really playing at the mo as I am (it's rather over used as a phrase) fully rebuilding my swing. But no clue what I did to help with the above.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wow, I don't remember this at all so I guess I did in the main. I have days when I have that low(strike and flight) one but with the current driver it's as long as the high toe end, high flight one as it's such a low spin driver that it will just make up the lack of carry with additional roll.

Not really playing at the mo as I am (it's rather over used as a phrase) fully rebuilding my swing. But no clue what I did to help with the above.

hurry up and finish so we can get a game!

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
hurry up and finish so we can get a game!

A wise man once told me I'll never be finished so ready when you are. I'll holla at you.

PS, the same guy told me to work on the first two feet but he missed out the part where that involves EVERYTHING else ... hehe

merv79

Head Pro
www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk
From personal experience I hit out of the bottom when I get ahead of it with my lower body, and hands and club approach the ball from quite a high position.

To hit higher on the face and get positive AOA, I feel like I keep my weight on the right side for longer in downswing and feel like club head makes contact with ground about a foot behind the ball and then gently rises when u hit the ball (i.e. Keep clubhead low).

Last edited:

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
From personal experience I hit out of the bottom when I get ahead of it with my lower body, and hands and club approach the ball from quite a high position.

To hit higher on the face and get positive AOA, I feel like I keep my weight on the right side for longer in downswing and feel like club head makes contact with ground about a foot behind the ball and then gently rises when u hit the ball (i.e. Keep clubhead low).

I get the exact opposite to Andy - arms go too early, shaft gets too steep, attacking from the outside. Only way I can then even hit it is to bunch myself up and back out of it to give myself room.

Spent all winter trying to eliminate that, work in progress