Hitting marker post ?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hope to play Mt Ellen seniors open this tuesday, but i just recalled last years comp. when my drive hit the top of a marker post [ a bit low i know but it was still rising :whistle:] and went OOB.
Ok it was out and i played 3 off the tee.
But if you hit overhead telephone / power wires ect you get to replay , so why no replay after hitting a direction marker?
This year i'll go right of the marker.:swing:

Last edited:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
But if you hit overhead telephone / power wires ect you get to replay , so why no replay after hitting a direction marker?

Not necessarily - there has to be a local rule in place.

We do have the appropriate LR in place but what happens in this situation?

The player strikes the ball which clearly crosses into OOB territory with no prospect of coming back due to the shape of the shot (sliced bady). The ball strikes a power cable which lies well OOB and rebounds back into bounds. Answers please ( but not from Duncan, Colin, Rulefan etc. until later).

blackpuddinmonster

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not necessarily - there has to be a local rule in place.

We do have the appropriate LR in place but what happens in this situation?

The player strikes the ball which clearly crosses into OOB territory with no prospect of coming back due to the shape of the shot (sliced bady). The ball strikes a power cable which lies well OOB and rebounds back into bounds. Answers please ( but not from Duncan, Colin, Rulefan etc. until later).
I'd a thowt you'd play the ball were it lands. No penalty.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
surely it would depend on the wording of the local rules.

Normally the wording is something like, if a ball hits an overhead powerline it must be replayed from as close as possible to the original position without penalty,

so in that scenario I would replay without penalty

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
surely it would depend on the wording of the local rules.

Normally the wording is something like, if a ball hits an overhead powerline it must be replayed from as close as possible to the original position without penalty,

so in that scenario I would replay without penalty

That is how the LR is worded but the power cable that was struck lay OOB.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

So what!

If that's how the LR is worded - and most are - then there are no exclusions/ifs/buts, even if the ball stayed OB.

Used to play a course on the way home from work quite regularly that had power-lines encroaching on 3 holes. Had never hit them until 1 day when I hit all 3!

Last edited:
G

guest100718

What if the ball hits the cable while OOB and stays there?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
So what!

If that's how the LR is worded - and most are - then there are no exclusions/ifs/buts, even if the ball stayed OB.

Used to play a course on the way home from work quite regularly that had power-lines encroaching on 3 holes. Had never hit them until 1 day when I hit all 3!

What if the ball hits the cable while OOB and stays there?

Foxholer's opinion seems to be replay without penalty.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I would also say replay without penalty.

If the shot was off the tee and forum average distance of 325 yards (3wood) how could you be sure that it was oob when it hit the cable or maybe a tree and came back inbounds?

Last edited:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I'm gonna take a guess that since the part of the power line it hit was OOB it isn't part of the hole being played and therefore isn't covered by the local rule and the ball should be played as it lies

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok. This is in no way definitive, just my reasoning for saying the stroke is cancelled and must be replayed. On the understanding that the local rule is worded according to Decision 33-8/13, it will simply tell us that if a ball strikes the power line the stroke is cancelled. There is no qualification that this doesn't apply if the bit of the line where the ball strikes is OOB, nor would it be practicable to write that into the local rule. The ball hits the line = the stroke is cancelled.

Additionally, at the moment the ball strikes the cable, it is not OOB since it has not come to rest and does not meet the definition which requires it to be lying out of bounds.

Keep it as simple as the wording of the local rule has it. Imagine the debate as a group peers upwards at a power line, attempts to agree on the precise point the ball struck it and then has to picture a vertical line in the air from that point to determine whether it is OOB. :eek:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok. This is in no way definitive, just my reasoning for saying the stroke is cancelled and must be replayed. On the understanding that the local rule is worded according to Decision 33-8/13, it will simply tell us that if a ball strikes the power line the stroke is cancelled. There is no qualification that this doesn't apply if the bit of the line where the ball strikes is OOB, nor would it be practicable to write that into the local rule. The ball hits the line = the stroke is cancelled.

Additionally, at the moment the ball strikes the cable, it is not OOB since it has not come to rest and does not meet the definition which requires it to be lying out of bounds.

Keep it as simple as the wording of the local rule has it. Imagine the debate as a group peers upwards at a power line, attempts to agree on the precise point the ball struck it and then has to picture a vertical line in the air from that point to determine whether it is OOB. :eek:

And that was my conclusion when the situation arose here.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm gonna take a guess that since the part of the power line it hit was OOB it isn't part of the hole being played and therefore isn't covered by the local rule and the ball should be played as it lies

This was my thinking on the basis that the suggested LR wording in Decision 33-8/13 is in the context of lines interfering with the play of the hole, and whether something which is OB can be regarded as interfering with the play of the hole.

However as Colin points out, the LR doesn't state explicitly that it is limited to power lines within the boundary of the course. The implication is that, as Colin indicates, for simplicity and avoiding arguments, the intention is that if the ball hits the line then replay.

Be interested in other views but can see merits in both Hawkeye's, from a purist perspective, and Colin's and Rosecott's from a practical one.