Hitting into the Gallery.. again

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As I've said before, a shout should always happen
There is no excuse for not shouting.
But have you watched the crowd when the players do shout?
Hardly any of them do anything at all...because they're not paying attention..
Add to that the players and PGA Tour don't care because they'll undoubtedly have it deep in the TsandCs of entering that there is a risk of being hit and that risk lies with the spectators...

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The formula for the decrease in audibility over distance is as follows:
Δ L = L2 − L1. The sound pressure p decreases with 1/r from the sound source! a point source decreases by a ratio of 1/2 as the distance is doubled. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (good ol Google)

So, all players must be aware of how loud they shout, and their average distance with each club, so they'll know E.g. "driver - 7 iron - I'm too long to shout, or 8 iron and down, I need to shout!" :whistle::sneaky:

Or, you could just shout! :)

There is no formula for silence... it is a constant!

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Foxholer doesn’t make any good points. He is wrong. You’re in the same ballpark too.

If you hit a golf shot that has a chance of hitting someone then you shout fore very loudly. That is the game! If you don’t then you’re an arrogant dick. All this bilge about Marshall’s and radios is utter nonsense as is trying to defend professionals as if they’re your mates.

Some of the people on this forum seem absolutely clueless on golf. I’m all for beginners asking sensible questions and seeking help and guidance but plenty of the posts are inane or complete tripe.

Why don't you really say what you mean. ? No need to be shy?

Look, if the shout can be heard, then they should shout. If it cannot at that distance on a spectatored golf course, then what I suggested might be a suitable warning.
Please acknowledge that if a shout cannot be heard, it is useless shouting and leaving it at that, isn't it?
At no point am I , nor Foxholer, suggesting there should be no warning.
Please read what I say and not reply as if I am supporting a no warning scenario.
I have not been on a golf course spectating in a Major when players are driving 300 yds, so I do not know for sure whether a shout can be heard.
AsI say,I think this should be addressed by the golf authorities in an open manner, as to the best and therefore required way to proceed.

The Dog.

Visit site
:) I don't think we are too far away from being on the same page.

I am more of a shout fore because you are a golfer kind of chap. They should be setting a good example on all fronts to the watching public and this is a good example. An even better example would be if they got a bit of a shift on. Two pros should not be taking more than 3 hours. Separate topic I know.

birdyhunter

Visit site
Who cares?

Really, just ask yourself that question

The problem in correcting player behaviour is that quite simply... No one really cares

Jeez even the victims of a ball strike only care after they get hit and only then if its a serious injury (anything short of that and they're more pleased to have a 'cool' story, a signed glove and maybe even appear on every highlight clip, like the bloke who caught Rory's ball in his shorts pocket)

So for as much as we want to hear every tour player shout, (it seems) the one serious injury every few years is a more than acceptable casualty rate

Utter rubbish and tell me you wouldn't care if it was your son / daughter / spouse who lost an eye because the pro couldn't be bothered to signal/shout.

Go on, now now tell me you wouldn't care...

D

Deleted member 15344

Who cares?

Really, just ask yourself that question

The problem in correcting player behaviour is that quite simply... No one really cares

Jeez even the victims of a ball strike only care after they get hit and only then if its a serious injury (anything short of that and they're more pleased to have a 'cool' story, a signed glove and maybe even appear on every highlight clip, like the bloke who caught Rory's ball in his shorts pocket)

So for as much as we want to hear every tour player shout, (it seems) the one serious injury every few years is a more than acceptable casualty rate

Do you think this lady thinks it’s an acceptable casualty rate

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/45714544

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After getting hit on the head last year, I can’t belive I was hit again today.
Playing an invitation I am in the middle of my own fairway .
The lads say there was a faint fore but very late I didn’t hear it.
Bounced in front of me and as I turned away it hit me on the back of my neck.
If anyone hits a ball onto another hole they should be screaming not a token gesture.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
My rule on shouting Fore is very simple. If I can see it's going to land where there is no danger to anyone, I don't shout. If I think there's any chance at all it will hit someone, I shout. If it's going into an area I can't see, but I think there is a chance someone could be there, I shout.
The Pros should lead by example. I've had too many close calls from people not shouting Fore. And always an excuse.
  • I didn't see you.
  • I didn't think I would reach you.
  • I didn't think anyone was there.
  • I did shout (obviously not loud enough!).
  • What are you moaning about? I missed you didn't I?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Utter rubbish and tell me you wouldn't care if it was your son / daughter / spouse who lost an eye because the pro couldn't be bothered to signal/shout.

Go on, now now tell me you wouldn't care...
Do you think this lady thinks it’s an acceptable casualty rate

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/45714544

I think you fellas are off on some tangent, can we maybe stay somewhere close to topic? This thread is not about if I care. This thread has naff all to do whether forumers care or whether I have any sympathy for someone losing an eye.

This thread is about Pro golfers who don’t shout after hitting an errant tee shot heading towards people, and I’ve asked ‘who cares’.
The list of people that could care is :
  • Comp organizers, sponsors, officials etc
  • Governing bodies
  • Player, caddies and their peers
  • Spectators
I’m asking, who cares enough to deal with this (to any greater lengths than they already have) and by not doing more that they are content with the measures, liability waivers, warnings & insurances etc that are in place given the small number of serious cases that occur at Tour events, which altogether equals… an acceptable risk
The Tours know they cant remove the risk entirely so what risk remains is acceptable (even if undesirable)

The games 500 years old so the governing bodies have done all they are going to do on the matter
Players & caddies don’t care enough to meaningfully influence their peers into shouting, except to lead by example and that example is patchy/inconsistent at best

Yes if it was someone close to me I’d care, what a stupid comment… but that’s what I already said! Spectators generally only care when they become a casualty

There’s zero chance I believe no ball is ever going to come near me at an event or that I’ll even get a warning 100% of the time. If I stand there as a spectator I’m judging that it is an acceptable risk

So I'll ask again, who cares? I think 'no one cares' to do more than is already being done

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I get what you say, but "some" players do care, because they shout....every time. Did you see the look on Louis' face when he thought he'd hit someone?

The question is why the others don't bother.

And I agree, I go to tournaments and have never considered getting hit as a unacceptable risk

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I get what you say, but "some" players do care, because they shout....every time. Did you see the look on Louis' face when he thought he'd hit someone?

And I agree, I go to tournaments and have never considered getting hit as a unacceptable risk

Yeah there's three groups:
  1. those that shout
  2. those that shout sometimes (the most dangerous & largest group)
  3. Those that don't shout
group 1 is the way to go obviously
group 2 you just never know if they'll shout or not or just wave the club about
Group 3 are the worst but at I suppose they're predictable, so keep your bloomin eyes open because they generally don't shout

the ones that shout have been setting the correct example for years and for some reason their fellow pros don't all follow suit. So they do care but their example doesn't work as a fix to the problem the OP raises

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I think the answer is obvious and has been said before - they care more about getting a lucky break and a good lie than they do about injuring somebody.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think you fellas are off on some tangent, can we maybe stay somewhere close to topic? This thread is not about if I care. This thread has naff all to do whether forumers care or whether I have any sympathy for someone losing an eye.

This thread is about Pro golfers who don’t shout after hitting an errant tee shot heading towards people, and I’ve asked ‘who cares’.
The list of people that could care is :
  • Comp organizers, sponsors, officials etc
  • Governing bodies
  • Player, caddies and their peers
  • Spectators
I’m asking, who cares enough to deal with this (to any greater lengths than they already have) and by not doing more that they are content with the measures, liability waivers, warnings & insurances etc that are in place given the small number of serious cases that occur at Tour events, which altogether equals… an acceptable risk
The Tours know they cant remove the risk entirely so what risk remains is acceptable (even if undesirable)

The games 500 years old so the governing bodies have done all they are going to do on the matter
Players & caddies don’t care enough to meaningfully influence their peers into shouting, except to lead by example and that example is patchy/inconsistent at best

Yes if it was someone close to me I’d care, what a stupid comment… but that’s what I already said! Spectators generally only care when they become a casualty

There’s zero chance I believe no ball is ever going to come near me at an event or that I’ll even get a warning 100% of the time. If I stand there as a spectator I’m judging that it is an acceptable risk

So I'll ask again, who cares? I think 'no one cares' to do more than is already being done
Most people that are injured are paid off by the tour or are they?
But has anybody actually tested this in court ?
The disclaimers might not be worth a carrot.
As the tour knew in advance that this is a possibility the courts might find for the victim.
Until then like any big business money talks.
But if someone offers you a large sum of money not to sue I don’t blame them.

Visit site
I shout fore even if I know my shot is not going to hit someone but will land near them. It’s obviously not nice to see that moment of panic when everyone ducks for cover, but it’s also not nice to have a golf ball land a short distance away when you don’t expect it.

Having been struck between the shoulder blades by a ball hit from 180 yards away, with no fore shout, I can’t begin to explain how unpleasant that was.

Some regular PP’s just don’t get it. They can hit a bit slinging hook towards a group and wait until they know for certain that it’s going right at them to shout. “I thought it was going to miss them”... It’s too late. The other classic is “I didn’t realise there was anyone over there, I couldn’t see them”... what? a group of people standing on the previous fairway? If it’s going anywhere near people, or it’s landing out of sight and there could be people there, then you shout as loudly as you can, simple as that.

Fore left and fore right is also much better than just fore.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Most people that are injured are paid off by the tour or are they?
But has anybody actually tested this in court ?
The disclaimers might not be worth a carrot.
As the tour knew in advance that this is a possibility the courts might find for the victim.
Until then like any big business money talks.
But if someone offers you a large sum of money not to sue I don’t blame them.

Dunno, but I think you're spot on & I'd bet the tours/organisers etc (& by extension the players as participants) will have various liability & other insurance polices etc
Elite players (as self employed businesses) will probably have their own liability insurance on top anyway

Despite shouting being the correct & sensible thing to do, if it was deemed essential or meaningful to avoid causing someone a serious injury you've got to think that an insurance company would actually have that included in the policy. i.e if you don't shout, they wont pay out... given the players that don't always shout it seems not