hitting everything to the right

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi, need some help please. Always had issues with driver & 3 wood going to the right, now its happening with my irons too?

Typical ball flight starts straightish then finishes well right of target.
My other bad shot can be starts left and continues on same line to finish.
(sorry dont know terminology)
I am unsure if issue is caused by my swing path or if the clubface is open - or possibly both

i am right handed and have been playing just over a year.
Thanks for your comments

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Your path is out-to-in for both shots so somthing's going on there. When the ball starts left and stays there your clubface is slightly closed...it's square for the other shot.

I'm sure someone will post the 'head cover drill' for you in a bit... if not use the forum search facility and you'll probably find it.

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for reply. what you are saying makes sense to me with the out to in path.

I think i have seen the headcover drill and will try it out at range next time

Got a feeling i attack the ball with my shoulders/arms and seem to forget about turning my hips first....would this action cause an out to in path?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Yes, it could.

NB: Check your alignment (feet/hips/shoulders) before you change anything at all., lots of people swing left because their shoulders are pointing that way!

Last edited:

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just got back from the range tonight. I spent the time working with my driver on my swing path and once i slowed the swing down to a blur i was starting to strike the ball from the inside.

Not everything i hit went straight and far, but i feel encouraged with the progress so far.

I also found what worked for me was that if you imagine the ball as a clock face with 1200 at the top and 9 and 3 on target line - try hitting through 4 oclock and although it feels as though you are hitting the ball to the right, i was hitting it straight so long as i released my hands properly. not sure this would work for all but having this as sole swing thought prevented my head from being saturated with tons of things
thanks again for advice - i am no longer scared to dig out the driver when i have company at range;)